Author Topic: Tasty Curry from Scratch  (Read 40760 times)

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Tasty Curry from Scratch
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 11:32 AM »
what a good post.

George, page 20 in the book below talks about making a "daag" a curry base for storing for days/weeks ? i have also seen a type of curry base in other non bir books.
This book says they make a quick curry by frying this daag in some hot oil adding chicken etc. Yup it's call a curry base but I can not see any extra spices added just meat, i need to read it further, this is on page 20 of my A4 version.  The recipe is here also, i have decided i am going to try this today.

Anyway, 90% of the time i don't use bir style now unless a want to try something new in my kitchen for myself. My non BIR curry's are some times great, some go a horrid green and more than a few go in the bin. So i now keep to tried and tested recipes for my family and friends. At the moment my fav is Camelia Punjabi prawns in sweet and sour curry (a patia) but I make it with king prawn or chicken. If you miss out the jaggery and tamarind stage. I think it tastes like a bir bhuna.
Also her Red Chicken Curry (styhet Bangladesh) is an interesting try.

I have no idea why the errors have gone uncorrected for some many editions :-(
some peeps don't like this book/some do.
Also pls note when i now cook from scratch I now cook very slowly and on low to medium heat, the onions for example take about 25 mins with a very low heat towards the end, hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:47 AM by Graeme »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 11:45 AM »
George, page 20 in the book below
Graeme, what is "the book below" ?  I can't see where you list it or link to it.
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 12:02 PM »
At the moment my fav is Camelia Punjabi prawns in sweet and sour curry (a patia) but I make it with king prawn or chicken. If you miss out the jaggery and tamarind stage. I think it tastes like a bir bhuna.

I have her book and must try this recipe.

I've tried recipes before, from various sources, which didn't taste like I thought they were supposed to, but tasted like something else, so no harm was done, and progress was made. It's a good point you make. And yes, where's the book you mentioned? It sounds interesting.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Sorry i did not post a link.
I also edited my message spellings ! so sorry if we crossed posted. when i was doing this. I also deleted the book title then forgot to link to her book.
Many links below...but they see to have mixed themselves up too.

The book came as a A4 (ISBN 1 - 85626 - 380 - 0) for 15 pounds but as time went
by it also came out at a A5 then an A5 with a DVD, then a revised A5 size with out the dvd, with 10 new recipes, the 10 year edition. At times you can buy it for as little as 5 pounds in the UK. From what i have seen and heard all editions come with silly errors.

http://www.amazon.co.UK/Great-Curries-India-Camellia-Panjabi/dp/1856265463/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289217393&sr=8-1-spell]

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1084108.50_Great_Curries_of_India

I do see the original A4 size for sale from time to time but either would do. I just like the A4 size for following the text easier while cooking from it. I have never see her DVD.

Here some other people have been using this book...

Inspired by "Julie and Julia" Tones and I are cooking our way through Camelia Panjabi's "50 Great Curries of India". We are up to #4. See my blog page for updates!

http://velokitchen.wordpress.com/50-curries-project/

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:54 PM by Graeme »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Inspired by "Julie and Julia" Tones and I are cooking our way through Camelia Panjabi's "50 Great Curries of India". We are up to #4. See my blog page for updates!
http://velokitchen.wordpress.com/50-curries-project/

Please confirm - is that your blog page in the link above (50 curries project). If so, amazing!

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 11:49 PM »
"Please confirm - is that your blog page in the link above (50 curries project). If so, amazing"

Sorry George I have never done anything amazing in my life  :) so no.
I just though others may want to read the blog i found as well.
So its simply one of the better links i found when searching for the book.
I though i may as well add it just in case anyone was interested before
its lost forever in the expanding internet universe :-)
sorry for any confusion i may have caused, now you know why
i don't post to often :-)

However i still think you correct, amazing stuff.
I have also been reading the book again, they like lamb don't they !

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 06:37 PM »
I saw Camelia Punjabi's 50 great curries of India in a local bookstore for GBP3.50 last week, it was a pocket sized version. At the time I glanced through it and it didn't really pique my interest but since reading that blog I wish I'd bought it.

I'm kicking myself now as they're no longer in stock!  >:(

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 08:54 PM »
I saw Camelia Punjabi's 50 great curries of India in a local bookstore for GBP3.50 last week, it was a pocket sized version. At the time I glanced through it and it didn't really pique my interest but since reading that blog I wish I'd bought it.

SS , bought my copy at a local car boot , 50p  ;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 02:37 PM »

Maybe you've been looking in the....

::) ;D

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I bet you wouldn't find it in this book shop in South Africa....

©2024 Curry Recipes