Author Topic: Tasty Curry from Scratch  (Read 40686 times)

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tasty Curry from Scratch
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Yes it really was excellent, my Mrs had some last night when she finished work and she was blown away by it too.

It doesn't really use alot of oil either which is obviously a bonus too. I keep promising to cook a curry for my parents and I know they'll love this one. Top stuff.

So glad I found this website, I'd been cooking bad curries for 20 years until 6 months ago.

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2011, 02:47 PM »
For this I used 1.1Kg of shoulder lamb on the bone, the butcher cut it up for me. It was lovely but it wouldn't really be ideal for eating in front of other people as I had to pick the lamb pieces up and gnaw them.  :)

It was a bit messy, but I ate alone last night so it didn't matter.

What would be the best lamb to use off the bone? I'll be cooking it again in a couple of weeks time for 5 of us.

Cheers,
H.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2011, 06:10 PM »
For this I used 1.1Kg of shoulder lamb on the bone, the butcher cut it up for me. It was lovely but it wouldn't really be ideal for eating in front of other people as I had to pick the lamb pieces up and gnaw them.  :)

It was a bit messy, but I ate alone last night so it didn't matter.

What would be the best lamb to use off the bone? I'll be cooking it again in a couple of weeks time for 5 of us.

Cheers,
H.

You could use the same Lamb cut but separate the Lamb from the Bone before cooking and cut into cubes then make your Curry including the Bones (bones add to the flavour) then remove the Bones before serving. ;)

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Yeah that's what i'll do, just make sure I get a nice meaty cut. Had alot of bone in the one I just made but like you say the bone would've added to the flavour as I cooked it for so long.

Cheers.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2011, 08:27 PM »
made a curry from scratch tonight after reading emin's post - cant believe how nice it was - will post step by step later - tasted really nice - different from a BIR but much fresher - i rate my BIR very highly BTW - will post soon -resultant cury has tons of flavour but no heat as the wife doesnt like them hot - i then chopped to green chillies and added them to mine and another 5 min heat on the stove turned out a lovely chicken madras .

GaRRY

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2011, 11:18 PM »
made a curry from scratch tonight after reading emin's post - cant believe how nice it was - will post step by step later - tasted really nice - different from a BIR but much fresher - i rate my BIR very highly BTW - will post soon -resultant cury has tons of flavour but no heat as the wife doesnt like them hot - i then chopped to green chillies and added them to mine and another 5 min heat on the stove turned out a lovely chicken madras .

GaRRY

Well done Garry ,I do similar for my Daughter who doesn't like hot Curries I serve her Curry then add Chili and simmer for another 10 mins for the Mrs and me  :)
I do like cooking my BIR Curries but do like using all fresh ingredients in the Curry from Scratch especially fresh Chillies ,Garlic and Ginger and anything else you want to chuck in,my mate at work puts Asian Bay leaves in and loves it.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Looking forward to trying this- cheers! I think it's gagging to be used with alamb shank or two, what say ye? Also, in the recipe, it says "pick out cardomoms etc if (you can find them)"- do you think one of those spice bags would solve that, or would the sauce be too thick?

Offline bhuna1

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2014, 05:03 PM »
I just had this with mutton.  One of the best i've ever made.  CHeers :)

©2024 Curry Recipes