Author Topic: Tasty Curry from Scratch  (Read 40788 times)

Offline moezus

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tasty Curry from Scratch
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2010, 01:13 AM »
hmm.. it could be oil now that you mention it, I hope it is. When I thought I had scraped most of it off the top, after simmering for a bit longer more started to appear. Would oil do the same?

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2010, 06:04 PM »
hmm.. it could be oil now that you mention it, I hope it is. When I thought I had scraped most of it off the top, after simmering for a bit longer more started to appear. Would oil do the same?

Yes mate that's Oil  ;)

Offline moezus

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2010, 11:25 PM »
Thanks emin-j
Not so afraid of the dark red liquid any more.
Just need to convince the mrs now.

I'll be giving this recipe a go in the next few days, just need to find some time to stock up on some new spices from the local Indian grocery.

Just wouldn't mind some clarification on "Curry Powder". Is this something you make yourself? I found a product called "Kitchen King Masala" would it be ok to use this?

thanks.

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2010, 02:10 PM »
Curry Powder". Is this something you make yourself?

Hello moezus,

I use a shop bought Rajas mild madras.

I've been having a few PM's with ej about this recipe over the past several weeks.
I've made several curries, using a slight variation each time now, & each time things seem to improve.
I think we both agree, that adding Cumin/Coriander to the spice mix, improves the flavour even more.
Saturday, I used red onion. WOW!! what an intense flavour. The best Lamb on the bone I have ever made.
I swapped the 4 green cardomon for 2 black, & just used one, & a half tspn of Garam Masala.
I dropped the G/G down by 5grms.
Last week I bought a full chicken, skinned it, quartered it, & cooked it on the bone.
Best chicken curry I have ever had.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Carl...

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Thanks emin-j
Not so afraid of the dark red liquid any more.
Just need to convince the mrs now.

I'll be giving this recipe a go in the next few days, just need to find some time to stock up on some new spices from the local Indian grocery.

Just wouldn't mind some clarification on "Curry Powder". Is this something you make yourself? I found a product called "Kitchen King Masala" would it be ok to use this?

thanks.

Hi moezus, as guitarmanguitar says a good Curry Powder is Rajah Mild Madras available from most Asian stores or Asda ( World food section ).

Offline moezus

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Much appreciated GuitarMan and Emin-J.

I'll see if I can find Rajah Mild Madras at my local Indian store,  hopefully they stock this product in Australia otherwise will have to find an equivelant.

Looking set to try this recipe on Friday.

As suggested I will add the following:
Cumin and Coriander powder and swap the onion for red onion.

Offline moezus

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2010, 01:08 AM »
Called a few different spice shops in the area and none of them stock Rajah products, most of them suggested Kitchen King Masala as an alternative.

Ingredients are as follows:
Coriander, Chilli, Turmeric, Cumin, Dal, Fenugreek, Pepper, Salt, Cardamom, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, Mustard, Garlic, Mace, Asafoetida.

A little worried about this, based on the ingredients do you think it would be ok to add this as a substitute for Rajah Madras powder?

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Called a few different spice shops in the area and none of them stock Rajah products, most of them suggested Kitchen King Masala as an alternative.

Ingredients are as follows:
Coriander, Chilli, Turmeric, Cumin, Dal, Fenugreek, Pepper, Salt, Cardamom, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, Mustard, Garlic, Mace, Asafoetida.

A little worried about this, based on the ingredients do you think it would be ok to add this as a substitute for Rajah Madras powder?

Give it a go mate probably be fine , I used Red Onions on Saturday it gave a darker colour to the Curry but to be honest I didn't think there was any great gains to be had on flavour, I think I'll be sticking to the normal Brown Onions cuz there cheaper  ;)

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2011, 10:13 PM »
I've just made and eaten this, (using lamb on the bone) and it was absolutely superb!

I'd ran out of base sauce so just did a search for a 'curry from scratch' this came up and I feel it's my lucky day.  ;D

Added about 10 hot chillies, a bit of cumin and ground star anise, and this is my favourite dish I've found so far. It's also nice if you're not in a hurry and let it slow cook getting the old taste buds going. I cooked it for 3 hours on a very low heat.

Got about half left for tomorrow, lovely.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2011, 08:34 AM »
I've just made and eaten this, (using lamb on the bone) and it was absolutely superb!

I'd ran out of base sauce so just did a search for a 'curry from scratch' this came up and I feel it's my lucky day.  ;D

Added about 10 hot chillies, a bit of cumin and ground star anise, and this is my favourite dish I've found so far. It's also nice if you're not in a hurry and let it slow cook getting the old taste buds going. I cooked it for 3 hours on a very low heat.

Got about half left for tomorrow, lovely.

Thank's for posting your findings hcoool  ;) you can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste, I think the method is a winner  ;) the aroma around the house (especially with Lamb) is better than any BIR style Curry I have made.

©2024 Curry Recipes