Author Topic: Yet another base? oh hell  (Read 13995 times)

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another base? oh hell
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Thanks Martin,

Gonna give it a go tomorrow, just got all the ingriedients in, so I'll give an honest opinion on Monday. ;)

CArl...

Thanks CArl good luck with it and I hope you enjoy it! :)

Martin

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 08:51 AM »
don?t remove the froth.

Onion,

am interested in your thinking on this (in case i've missed something). concensus i think is don't remove (it's extra effort for a start).

i started out on KD1 and came to remove it as norm. since joining the site i've tried both and have not found a difference. the surface of the skimmed base does look better when cooled but that's all for me. in terms of taste not found it discernable.

only thing to be careful if skimming is  - to do it early as the base comes to the boil otherwise there is the chance of skimming off oil rising to the surface as well as the froth.

ps love the water addition for 2nd stage - it's a defo me too

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Hi JerryM

I also have not found any difference by removing the froth.

I found that adding the water on the second stage aided in the separation of the oil as it cooled in the fridge, the following day there was slight puddle of oil on the top.

Cheers

Martin

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Hello Martin,

I made this base sauce on Saturday.
It does seem to have a very strong taste of potato, almost like a starchy sort of a taste.
Should I be getting this?

I followed your recipe to the letter, but the Veg seemed to be very under cooked, & the sauce seems to be a little on the thick side. Having said that, CA's is the only other base sauce I have done, & compared to his, it is quite a bit thicker.

CArl...

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 03:05 PM »

It does seem to have a very strong taste of potato, almost like a starchy sort of a taste.
Should I be getting this?

I followed your recipe to the letter, but the Veg seemed to be very under cooked, & the sauce seems to be a little on the thick side.

CArl...

Hi CArl

No, I do not get strong taste of potato, I have just checked my recipe as posted just in case I had missed something, but it is ok. Also, it should not be too thick once you have added the 3 pints of water at the second stage of cooking, in fact it makes it quite runny, slightly runnier than tomato soup.

Two medium potatoes should not dominate the flavour considering all the other ingredients involved.

The veg should all be firm, but not hard after 30 minutes of simmering with the lid on, you can always add a little more water at the second stage if it looks too thick.

Have you made a curry with it yet?

Martin

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 04:49 PM »

[/quote]

Martin
[/quote]

Not yet Martin no.
I think I may need to make another batch, & allow the Veg to cook a little more.
I think maybe it was a little too under done.

Sorry mate.

CArl...

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Onion,

thanks for feedback on the froth - appreciated

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 08:24 AM »

Martin
[/quote]

Not yet Martin no.
I think I may need to make another batch, & allow the Veg to cook a little more.
I think maybe it was a little too under done.

Sorry mate.

CArl...
[/quote]

Hi CArl

That's a bummer, if you pm me your address and what you spent on the ingredients I will send you the money, I want this to be a success for you.

Try using smaller potatoes and cutting them smaller, perhaps use a non floury variety or new potatoes, also did you use dried methi?

Cheers

Martin

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56 AM »
Thank you for the kind offer Martin, it's very good of you.

It's really not necessary though my friend.
It's only a few onions.

I did use dried Methi.

Just a thought, but would it be better if you were to weigh the spuds, & cauli, just to give us a more accurate recipe, or is that a silly suggestion?

Once again, thank you.

Carl...

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 11:34 AM »

Just a thought, but would it be better if you were to weigh the spuds, & cauli, just to give us a more accurate recipe, or is that a silly suggestion?

Once again, thank you.

Carl...

Hi CArl

No it's not a silly question, next time I make it I will weigh veg and change my recipe accordingly.

In the meantime I would say that the potatoes are about the size of a satsuma and the cauli, broccoli are small florets about the size of a ping pong ball.

Cheers

Martin

©2024 Curry Recipes