Author Topic: Yet another base? oh hell  (Read 13994 times)

Offline beaureef

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another base? oh hell
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 01:27 PM »
nothing that unique in the ingredients

I'm not knocking it, and it might taste great but how can you say there's 'nothing unique' when it contains cauliflower, broccoli, etc?

I just bought a curry recipe book for my kindle and the base sauce stated cauliflower or broccoli or a mixture of both (stalks and trimmings), in it.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 03:20 PM »
the base sauce stated cauliflower or broccoli or a mixture of both (stalks and trimmings), in it.

What a load of tosh - the recipe I mean. Is that from the kindle book at amazon.co.uk?

I suggest the only reason those vegetables are included is to make the recipe stand out from a marketing point of view. It's dishonest and shameful.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 05:03 PM »
the base sauce stated cauliflower or broccoli or a mixture of both (stalks and trimmings), in it.

What a load of tosh - the recipe I mean. Is that from the kindle book at amazon.co.uk?

I suggest the only reason those vegetables are included is to make the recipe stand out from a marketing point of view. It's dishonest and shameful.

George,
I have been in 6 or 7 kitchens over the years and although I have not seen cauliflower or broccoli trimmings go into a base garabi it doesn't mean that some places won't add these ingredients. They would just add some fibrous bulk to gravy and could be by-products of veg preparation.
After all there are those people who say that carrot, potato and cabbage don't go into the garabi but I know from first hand experience that they do in some restaurant or t/a garabi's.

Dishonest and shameful are strong words to use.
You state with some certainty that they would not be used. What do you base this on? (excuse the pun)
Mick

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 06:34 PM »
thinks that george should take a break from the forum as his comments are mostly always on the negative side and probably stops others from posting - sorry mate but take a hard look at yerself and stop putting others down - i remember CA was banned for a while - not heard anything negative from him since he came back ............  :P

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 11:16 PM »
thinks that george should take a break from the forum as his comments are mostly always on the negative side and probably stops others from posting - sorry mate but take a hard look at yerself and stop putting others down - i remember CA was banned for a while - not heard anything negative from him since he came back ............  :P

There should be a forum rule - with some sanction against anyone lunching a personal attack such as yours, without adding a jot to the subject under discussion.

I criticised the book's recipe, and not the member who reported it here. There's a big difference. You're not the author are you?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 11:47 PM »
There should be a forum rule - with some sanction against anyone lunching a personal attack such as yours, without adding a jot to the subject under discussion.

a case of the pot calling the kettle black I think

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 02:18 AM »

a case of the pot calling the kettle black I think

Yes, maybe, but gazman is one of the most negative members here. First he tried to tell me I shouldn't enjoy watching VHS tapes, then he made offensive remarks about other members, and now he swoops on this thread.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 02:55 AM »
I think you need to get a hobby George or maybe take a holiday?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 03:31 AM »
Guy's,

C'mon fellas, lets not start 2011 in the same way that most of 2010 panned out.  I'm sure that George's post's don't really reflect his personality.  The written word is just so black and white, and can easily be taken the wrong way!

It'd be great for the forum if we could all be a little more tolerable towards other members post's. 

If one of us brings up something that has been discussed 5 years ago, hey ho, no matter, lets discuss it again!

If someone disagrees with someones methods or list of ingredients, great, lets debate it!

If one man/woman puts lemon juice in their madras or potato in their vindaloo, fine, if you don't like it, leave it out, simple!

Lets focus on the food this year, and leave the sniping to 'lesser quality' forums than this one, eh?

Good luck to all in 2011, may all you curries be good ones, and your efforts even better!

Ray :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 11:02 AM »
Before you dismiss this out of hand, I know you are probably all sighing at yet another base recipe to appear, with nothing that unique in the ingredients, but have you tried this combination and method?  I urge you give it a go.

This base gives a good balanced full flavour, nothing is overpowering yet the aroma is wonderful. It has few ingredients and takes no more than two hours to make. The addition of the water at the second stage gives a good consistency and texture to the gravy.

New Base

3 large onions
4 fresh tomatoes quartered or 200 g tinned
2 medium sized potatoes quartered
3 carrots chopped
1 small green pepper chopped
1 small red pepper chopped
6 broccoli florets
6 cauliflower florets
2 dessertspoons Kasoori Methi
Small bunch fresh coriander
1 dessertspoon ginger garlic paste
2 dessertspoons Rajah mild madras curry powder
1 teaspoon Turmeric
2 teaspoons salt
1 dessertspoon sugar
1 pint oil
2  cups water
3 pints of water for second stage

Put everything in a large saucepan or stockpot and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes without stirring. Allow this to cool and blend to absolute smoothness.

Second stage

Return to the saucepan and add 3 pints of water, simmer for 40 minutes, don?t remove the froth.
Allow to cool and refrigerate overnight.

1 Pint of Oil seems a lot for a small amount of ingredients  :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes