Author Topic: Yet another base? oh hell  (Read 13859 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another base? oh hell
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 11:05 AM »
C'mon fellas, lets not start 2011 in the same way that most of 2010 panned out.  I'm sure that George's post's don't really reflect his personality.  The written word is just so black and white, and can easily be taken the wrong way!

Happy New Year. Thank you for a sensible suggestion. I agree.

The reason I think that putting broccoli and other obsure vegetables in a base sauce is bonkers is that I've never heard of them being used in the stocks and sauces of classic western cooking, like onions, leeks and carrots are.

As for getting a hobby or taking a holiday, how many people might that apply to here? Is the time you spend on the forum justified? New Year resolution? Spend less time at cr0?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 11:14 AM »
Maybe the use of brocolli is for colour only? Surely this would give the base a more greenish/brownish tinge to it than an orangy one?

Then would this affect the colour of the final curry?..........

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 12:23 PM »
C'mon fellas, lets not start 2011 in the same way that most of 2010 panned out. 

It'd be great for the forum if we could all be a little more tolerant of other members posts. 

If one of us brings up something that has been discussed 5 years ago, hey ho, no matter, let's discuss it again!

If someone disagrees with someone's methods or list of ingredients, great, let's debate it!

If one man/woman puts lemon juice in their madras or potato in their vindaloo, fine, if you don't like it, leave it out, simple!

Let's focus on the food this year, and leave the sniping to 'lesser quality' forums than this one, eh?

Good luck to all in 2011, may all you curries be good ones, and your efforts even better!

Ray :)
Wise words, Ray.  Well said.  A very happy happy 2011 to all true curry lovers at at CR0, and may this be the year in which sniping disappears for good from the forum.

** Phil.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 02:07 PM »

The reason I think that putting broccoli and other obsure vegetables in a base sauce is bonkers is that I've never heard of them being used in the stocks and sauces of classic western cooking, like onions, leeks and carrots are.

George,
That may well be the case but I'm unsure how that crosses over to BIR cooking and the ingredients used in a garabi/gravy.
I suppose BIR cooking is not trying to be classic western cooking.
Cheers,
Mick

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 02:44 PM »
It's my own recipe, I have been trying tons of combinations over a very very long time.

Sorry, I forgot some of the earlier posts in this thread. If it works, it works. Has anyone else tested this base for flavour? It seems unlikely that BIRs would use cauliflower and broccoli but that's not to say those two vegetables can't add something, if it can be proven that the flavour improves.

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Happy new year to all.
I posted this recipe because it works for me, it suits my taste, It has few ingredients, takes little time to prepare and has, in my opinion, a great flavour that does not diminish after blending and re-heating. The fact that some BIR?s may or may not use cauliflower or broccoli in their base is neither here nor there, if it works then it works.

I am not saying that it?s any better or worse than any other base recipe posted here, I have made quite a number of them, Darth?s was one of my favourites, I simply wanted to produce a base that gave great flavour with less ingredients and less time consuming. I even made the full recipe version from the Under Cover Curry book; however, I have to say that it was very poor, but that?s just my opinion.

I am happy with this base for now; it gives me what I want, so I thought I would share it here, I shall think carefully before I post another recipe, just incase it?s not what a BIR would do!  :-\

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 09:37 AM »
I shall think carefully before I post another recipe, just incase it?s not what a BIR would do!  :-\
Post and be d@mned  :)  Some of us (not all) are very happy to see and read all relevant contributions, not just those that fit some specific mould.

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Hey onion

I know the feeling buddy. The weakness of this forum is that there are a minority of members who seem to make it their vocation to be negative, pedantic and critical even though some of them have never set foot in a BIR kitchen and also are conspicuous by the lack of recipes they have posted. The BIR Police seem to put themselves on their own pedestal and they can stay there as far as I am concerned. I am thick skinned and consider I can hold my own in any debate but am happy to plough my own furrow and engage in the forum on my own terms.

What I am saying is that for every member who gets up your nose there will be ten others who feel the same as you do.

Hope you can keep posting buddy.

©2024 Curry Recipes