Author Topic: Cream  (Read 2237 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Cream
« on: November 04, 2010, 07:42 PM »
For about the last fifty years, I have drunk my coffee with cream, ever since discovering the pleasures thereof in Twining's Coffee House in The Strand.  For a few years I switched to Elmlea, which seemed almost as good and lasted a darned sight longer, but then I switched back and have remained with real cream ever since.  But what surprises me is just how different one real cream can be from another.  Regardlesss of whether it's single, double, extra-thick, whipping or whatever, almost all supermarket creams taste virtually the same.  But just a few miles from our home, there is the Hinxden Dairy, and their cream is out of this world.  One sip of coffee with Hinxden Double, and I am transported back in time to coffee in Twinings, an establishment virtually unchanged since its inception in 1717. What is it, I wonder, that can make one cream out of this world, whilst the vast majority are interchangeable and little better than thick milk ?

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cream
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:52 PM »
I wonder, that can make one cream out of this world, whilst the vast majority are interchangeable and little better than thick milk ?

** Phil.

The husbandry of the animals and what they are fed at a guess. I'm betting that that Hinxden Double isn't called that for nothing. What's it cost? About double the supermarket prices?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:50 PM »
The husbandry of the animals and what they are fed at a guess. I'm betting that that Hinxden Double isn't called that for nothing. What's it cost? About double the supermarket prices?
Don't really know what cream costs in supermarkets, but Hinxden Double 284ml cost me GBP 1-90 today, and should last me for about five days at four coffees/day.  I also wonder whether the breed comes into it : Jersey & Guernsey (and all C.I. cattle, as far as I know) are famed for the high butterfat content of their milk, which is why I  try to buy C.I. milk whenever possible.

** Phil.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Hi Phil

I think all of your observations are spot on, indeed I think yiou have answered your original question to the full

Im now living in Turkey and constantly dream of Clotted Cream, impossible to source here :(

Regards

Paul

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:27 PM »
I think the fact that supermarkets purchase stuff that goes through mass production techniques at huge dairies might have something to do with it.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:39 PM »
I'm now living in Turkey and constantly dream of Clotted Cream, impossible to source here :(
Ah, you might want to try here; they claim to deliver Clotted Cream by post to overseas buyers ...

** Phil.

Offline TasteTester

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Damn, if I lived in GB I'd be even fatter than I am now! I love cream, and yet ours is about 35% fat. However, I suppose if it's thicker, you'd use less.

©2024 Curry Recipes