Author Topic: A complete novice.  (Read 5070 times)

Offline joffy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
A complete novice.
« on: November 07, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Hi all. I've always gone for the quick n easy option of buying a jar of Pataks or Sharwoods sauce but read on another general discussion forum that these jars are considered crap!

I then found a jar of Mumtaz Tikka sauce which came highly recommended as takeaway style tikka and it was very nice, but no longer available in Tescos. You can buy it online but they charge ?6.95 for delivery!

So I looked into home-made curries and found "Kitchen Guru" products that supplies all the spices needed and a recipe to follow. It was quite nice, but quite dry. I liked all the sauce you get with the jars to dip naan into  :D

So now I've found this great forum but I'm overwhelmed with all the recipes.

So basically, which base recipes would you recommend to a novice? I plan on getting the spices from natco-online and any other ingredients will have be avaialble from Tescos etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated  :)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A complete novice.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Welcome to the site - i would start with razors or the sns 2008 base as both are very easily to make and both make lovely curries - enjoy

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Another vote for Razor's base here! Welcome aboard joffy ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 08:50 PM »

Offline joffy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
Like the look of Razors recipe.

But regarding the methi powder...
www.natco-online.com has Fenugreek (Methi) Leaves 100g jar & Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds 100g jar.

Which should I buy?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Hi Joffy, and a warm welcome to cr0.

Methi powder is very different to dried methi leaves (Kasoori Methi).  Methi powder is ground seeds, so you would need to look for ground methi.  Of course, you could get methi seeds and grind them yourself but it's worth trying to get hold of the ground stuff, just makes life easier :)

Is there a particular curry that you prefer?

Ray :)

P.S,

Thanks to Gazman and the lovely Domi for endorsing my base, and thanks to George for providing the link. :D

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Welcome Joffy your gunna like the recipes here, regarding the methi your gunna need powder for the base sauce as stated and dried methi leaves for your dishes so buy both, i dont add methi to my base but im yet to try razors base and it seems popular so follow it to the word.
atb
fishy

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:21 PM »
Hi Joffy,

buy both the dried fenugreek leaves and the methi powder, that should see you ok.

unless you want to grind the seeds yourself.

I also use razors base for every recipe on here i find  it is very good and versatile for both hot or medium currys. (i dont do mild) ;D

have fun cooking Joffy, there is always people on here giving good advice.

Alan ;D

Offline joffy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Thanks all.
I rather get all the spices from the same place and can easily put the Methi seeds in a pepper grinder I guess. Just the spices come to ?12 but they'll last a while.

So, just need a recipe to make use of the base sauce now.

Will search here for a Tikka Masala one I think.  ;)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Hi Joffy,

Thanks all.
I rather get all the spices from the same place and can easily put the Methi seeds in a pepper grinder I guess. Just the spices come to ?12 but they'll last a while.

Where abouts are you mate?  Are there no asian supermarkets nearby?

Just the spices come to ?12 but they'll last a while.

Well, they will, as long as you place the spices in an airtight jar and store in a cool dark place.

So, just need a recipe to make use of the base sauce now.
Will search here for a Tikka Masala one I think.

This one seems to be popular at the moment http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1823.0

Also, you could try this one, very easy to make, and a video to show you how http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4488.0

Hope that helps.

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes