Author Topic: Chicken Karahi  (Read 3444 times)

Offline samson

• Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Karahi
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:41 PM »
This Chicken Karahi is a recipe I?ve made quite a few times when done right this is up there with the best it has the depth that I?ve been searching for in a homemade karahi and has that home-style taste. I?d say the browning of the onions is the most important stage of this recipe to get right . Also the semi grinding of the cumin seeds does make a difference. Also you could skip the chicken part and add Chicken tikka at the end if your cooking times match(I recommend my chicken tikka recipe).

Chicken Karahi

600grams of Chicken Breast cubed
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil(I use Pride Vegetable Oil)
200gram of Onions(100g chopped fine & 100g cut into 1 inch square pieces)
1 Small Green pepper(deseeded  and cut into 1 inch square pieces)
1 Tablespoon of Garlic/Ginger Paste(50/50 fresh galic&ginger blended)
4 Medium Tomatoes(quartered) 
1/2 Teaspoon of Chilli Powder
1 Teaspoon of  salt
2 Small Green Chillies(1 Chopped fine,1 whole)
1.5 Teaspoon of Cumin Seeds(semi grinded with mortar & pestle)
1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
1 Cup of Water
1 Teaspoon of Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3/4 Teaspoon of garam massala 
1 Teaspoon of Fenugreek/Methi Leaves
julienne of ginger(to taste)
3 or 4 Tablespoon of Fresh Coriander Leaves (Chopped Fine)

Cooking times may vary?.

Heat the oil in a non-stick 30? + wok style pan and fry the chicken until is semi cooked(takes about 7 to 8 mins.

Remove the chicken from the oil and set a side

Now with the pan on medium add 100g of 1? cut onions stir for 2 minutes then add the peppers keep stirring until the onions are brown but not burnt this can take 10 minutes plus so don?t think stop frying the onions to soon, after about 7-8 minutes into cooking the onions add the other 100g of finely chopped onions turn the heat up to full.

When the onions are done turn down to medium then add the fresh green chilli?s stir for
1 minute now add the garlic/ginger paste and the ground cumin stir for 1 further minute then add the tomatoes, turmeric and salt.

Turn the heat up to full and stir for 2 minutes

Turn down the heat to medium & add the water and the chicken and stir in well

Turn the heat up and cook further, keep stirring until the consistency suits what you are looking for (takes about 10-20 minutes).

Now add the julienne of ginger, black pepper, garam massala and fenugreek and stir well cook for 15 minutes on a low heat.

Stir in the fresh coriander just before serving.

Cooking times may vary

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:21 AM by samson »

©2024 Curry Recipes