Author Topic: PLUM TOMATOES VS CHOPPED  (Read 15254 times)

Offline trucker5774

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: PLUM TOMATOES VS CHOPPED
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 04:32 PM »
I have just been to Morrisons. I read the label on every tin of tomatoes I could find. In the ingredients only the tins with whole plum tomatoes said plum tomatoes. All the others just said tomatoes :-\

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 04:42 PM »
I have just been to Morrisons. I read the label on every tin of tomatoes I could find. In the ingredients only the tins with whole plum tomatoes said plum tomatoes. All the others just said tomatoes :-\

Ah, you see, that's what you get for going to Morrisons.  Now had you gone to Waitrose, every tin would have said "Hand-picked, vine-ripened, finest Sicilian plum tomatoes, gently marinaded in the finest Sicilian tomato sauce, then drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil to bring you that "Buon Giorno" moment with every mouthful"  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Now had you gone to Waitrose

you don't arf buy some expensive toms Phil.  Mine are "Big Bob's Bastard Plum toms" and you get them free with a 2 litre bottle of "Rola Cola"  ;D ;D

Offline moonfish

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 10:12 PM »
I think I'm a little late for this topic ::) but I think it maybe just people's preference in what you use. My wife prefers chopped, where as I prefer plums  :)
 Chopped I find are a little sharper in taste I think. Another difference I have noticed is that in chopped tins, you can often find skin, where in plum, you don't.
 For me, no skin is better for a good smooth base.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Another difference I have noticed is that in chopped tins, you can often find skin, where in plum, you don't.
Good point.  In fact, when I mentally verbalise "plum tomatoes", I invariably think "peeled plum tomatoes", suggesting (to me) that that is what is written on most, if not all, cans thereof.  Whereas "chopped tomatoes" are just that, with no suggestion of "peeled".

** Phil.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Sure I read this somewhere.

Tins of plum tomatoes must be made from the whole firm 'perfect' ones, so after processing, you get whole tomatoes out of the tin.

Chopped are made from the rejected, split, soft, over-ripe and oddly shaped plum tomatoes (probably hence the occasional bits of skin still left in).

Not really taste tested this myself but, for this reason (over ripe), the chopped are supposedly sweeter.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:20 PM by martinvic »

©2024 Curry Recipes