Author Topic: Pre Cooked Onions  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Pre Cooked Onions
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I had a meeting with a well known Glasgow BIR owner today and asked him about the pre cooking or otherwise of onions. He explained that they put sliced onions I. A pot of oil with some spices and in particular Jeera. He wouldn't give details of spi e mix but did add that they are softly fried until turning brown and cooked till soft. They are stored in fridge for up to three days.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pre Cooked Onions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Panpot,

interesting and surprising information.

are these the onion that they use to make each dish that requires chopped onion or are they just for specific dishes (bhuna ??).

do they use bunjarra - without the "pre cooked onion" title - what you describe would almost fit with the bunjarra end point.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:11 PM »
do they use bunjarra - without the "pre cooked onion" title - what you describe would almost fit with the bunjarra end point.

This is really a "plea to administrators", but it needs to start here to place it in context.  If we do a "Search in topic subjects only" for "bunjarra", no hits are returned but instead we are told "You may have meant to search for bunkers."  By trial-and-error I found it was indexed under "bunjara" : is it possible for the administrators to get in and tweak the heuristics so that the search engine offers alternatives that are frequent in the corpus rather than simply being frequent in the wild ?

** Phil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:30 PM »
does anyone know it's correct spelling - if i'm getting it wrong then i'll do better for sure.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Jerry, I know that they use their own pastes so in asking him I more or less said " that apart from your various pastes IE, G/G, Tomatoe Puree and Bunjarra when you add onions do you pre cook them?" I even explained that I got the Bunjarra recipe from The Ashoka that he is well aware of but didn't confirm the use of it in his restaurant nor did he deny it. He did confirm that they use the pre cooked onions as a Tarka type addition to DoPiaza and other dishes where they were required. He also confirmed that they would use uncooked Onions and Green Pepper when cooking a Jalfresi for example. He is a good friend and I feel he really doesn't want to share more so I will respect that. At sometime I will seek out the chef from The Ashoka who has moved on and ask him. Bye the way the spelling of Bunjarra is not absolutely clear so given the emphasis on the R I have been spelling it with two. It is in my opinion critical to Glasgow BIR replication and miles better than than the recent interest in Bhuna Onions. PP PS a ever can I apologise for the spelling above as my iPhone doesn't sync well with the site spell checker for some reason.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Panpot,

appreciate the reply - makes complete sense to me. i intend to try the "caramelised" onion when i next make base. i will use it only for specific dishes (ie bhuna).

the bunjarra as with g/g paste for me goes in all dishes but i am sure you already do the same.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 06:32 PM »
I do Jerry and pre cook the G/G paste as per The Ashoka post.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 09:55 AM »
and pre cook the G/G paste as per The Ashoka post.

same here. what i have found is that i can pre cook in the microwave (bake, 3 to 5 mins) in place of the "frying pan" as spec method. a little less hassle for the home cook and works just the same - i still stick to the as spec words - "heat until releases aroma".

©2024 Curry Recipes