Author Topic: The Takeaway Secret  (Read 50713 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: The Takeaway Secret
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Perhaps I need to take a closer look at BIR pliau rice next time but I've never noticed any trace of onions. It's always white, too, with specs of colour (varies a bit from one BIR to the next) and never brown but I stand to be corrected if the Takeaway recipe tastes good, regardless.
Yes, I would go along with George's "white", albeit flecked with traces of food colouring (red, green, yellow).  I think (hope) that the days of yellow pillau rice are long past, although of course this too may be a regional thing ...

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 11:15 AM »
Hi George,

Yes, pilau rice will vary from place to place.  Don't get me wrong, the onion is usually chopped very small and I guess it's fried before the rice goes in but It is there but maybe not as obvious as one may think.

Phil,

I have also seen crispy fried onions used as a garnish too!

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 11:22 AM »
although the use of coconut block in the curry base sauce crops up gain.

jb,

i use quite a bit and rate it highly (25g in 800g onion, my take base). i also use tin coconut milk in the rajver which i rate too. the saffron has neither but produces equally good result. in short not essential but down to personal preference.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 03:53 PM »
I just tried the Special Burger Sauce on page 19 and it tastes great, and quite like Big Mac sauce, which must be the best. Without a Big Mac alongside, it's hard to be sure, but this is a good start. There are far more complex recipes online for Big Mac sauce but, if this simple recipe also works, it can't be bad.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 05:15 PM »
I am just marinated my lamb for a shish kebab tomorrow and also just done the donner recipe ready too cook.

nice healthier version of a mixed kebab for me tomorrow ;D

it is definatley worth the purchase imo

regards

Alan ;D

Offline samson

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Hi, I've just bought this book today and cos I'm desperate for a good recipe
for the red chilli sauce you would normally get in a takeaway on a kebab
i had  to give the red kebab sauce recipe a try and the result was unfortunately
a watered down chilli tomato sauce nothing like they do in any of the takeaways
in the Manchester area.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 02:08 AM »
samson,

I totally agree with the red chilli sauce recipe. I must admit i wont even attempt that recipe because just by reading it i knew it was not a chilli sauce from a TA.

saying that i have looked at most of the recipes in the book and there is a lot which i will do.

personally i think there will be something in the book for everyone to try.

Alan ;D

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Hi all,

Just a little update on the book.

I made for the first time a chicken tikka chasni and used this books recipe and method other than using razors base and dips tikka.
It is the first time i have tasted a Chasni so dont know if it was BIR standard.

I have got to say though i can see why its the most popular curry over the boarders as we all really enjoyed it.

Alan ;D

will be making it again very soon methinks ;D

Offline samson

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Hi,
I'm thinking of trying the curry base from this book and has anyone had any success with the base from this book? And what are the results good or bad.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:14 PM »
hi guys and girls got my copy of this last week and what do you know i got my weekly e-mail from martin lewis money saving expert website   www.moneysavingexpert.com today and what do you know it has been talked about so much on there forum it has hit the front page of the website, it has clocked up 58 pages since Merlin1 posted about it back in august this year! am very impressed with the simplicity of some of the secrets which this guy has found out but can't help thinking that the guy has trawled this site at some point LOL!  have not tried anything yet but won't be long i'm sure. will post results and if anyone is interested pm me for any info. regards
gary :)

©2024 Curry Recipes