Author Topic: The Takeaway Secret  (Read 50711 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Takeaway Secret
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 02:50 PM »
have not tried anything yet but won't be long i'm sure. will post results

parker21,

i've held back on purchase as i'm a tad sceptical of any commercial sellers claims.

will be very interested on your thoughts.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 06:32 PM »
hi jerry at the price i got it for what it holds inside all fits ingredients wise. 3.77 i paid for it and re-your pizza base sauce yes it has that too! did you follow the link and read the comments from the 58 pages?
pm me if you want the pizza sauce recipe to analyse lol
regards
gary ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 12:01 PM »
parker21,

only followed link to the 1st page. will have to read more of it given your comment.

ps pls send pizza sauce - will be quite interesting. my current spec per 400g tin toms: oregano 0.5tsp, marjoram 0.125 tsp, dry garlic 0.5 tsp, black pepper 5 turns grinder, sugar 1 tsp, tom puree 1 htbsp.

link to post: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2665259&highlight=takeaway

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 01:56 PM »
had a read through the moneysavingexpert site (which i rate highly and already get the weekly email). well as much as i could suffer. i read the 1st and last 4 pages.

the post seems more about general TA stuff and a lot of sheep.

ps many thanks to gary. my only immediate observation is that oregano is the key herb in pizza sauce not basil but kebab sauce could go well with burgers for the next home bbq.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 09:26 AM »
link to post: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2665259&highlight=takeaway

Merlin1 started that thread. I'd hazard a guess that he's the author or someone closely connected.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Merlin1 started that thread. I'd hazard a guess that he's the author or someone closely connected.

George, did you barge to the front when God was handing out cynicism ?  Merlin1 is credited with  273 posts; it is highly unlikely that he made over 200 of them just to build up his reputation before shamelessly plugging his own book ... !

** Phil.
--------
Merlin1
Old 16-08-2010, 4:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanked 1,528 Times in 154 Posts

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 10:39 AM »
George, did you barge to the front when God was handing out cynicism

Yes, probably! The other thing about the MSE thread is how relatively few people have actually tried anything, and quite a few are disappointed with some of the recipes. I must try the KFC recipe, which I don't expect to be very good, and the lamb kebab recipe, which does look more promising. However, as many people point out, the book is probably worth 4 quid, even if only one recipe is a winner.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 03:05 PM »
George,

if you do have a go at the KFC then cast a quick eye over LFC it may help. i don't know anything of the KFC recipe but we do make LFC all the time.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3445.0

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 11:29 PM »
George,

if you do have a go at the KFC then cast a quick eye over LFC it may help. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3445.0

You'd do better casting an eye over the MUFC ;D  Sorry Jerry, couldn't resist mate ;D

boing boing ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 01:31 AM »
George, if you do have a go at the KFC then cast a quick eye over LFC it may help. i don't know anything of the KFC recipe but we do make LFC all the time.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3445.0

Jerry - thanks for that. I assume you deep fry the chicken. Apparently, KFC use a pressure cooker with fat inside, instead of water. It's supposed to be a lot more risky but does anyone know why it's dangerous, before I try it? If pressure builds up, won't the release valves work as normal? Or do you risk the fat reaching some flash point with an explosion, or something? Also the Takeaway book uses very few spices, like your LFC recipe, whereas the KFC recipe is publicised as having 11 herbs and spices. They are well-guessed-at on various websites, although the people at KFC reckon nobody has come close.

©2024 Curry Recipes