Author Topic: The Takeaway Secret  (Read 50714 times)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Takeaway Secret
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2013, 07:06 PM »
hi peeps thought i would bump this up as now there is a new book "more takeaways secrets by kenny mcgovern" if your a fan of mcdonalds burgers and breakfast you have to try etc and chinese and kebabs and pizza the chilli to die for and omg pulled pork and deserts tooo! oh the list is endless lol! :-) and just think of the money you would save i promise you wont be disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!
oh and more curries and recipes for mixed powder amonst other things
kind regards
gary

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip Gary, I've ordered it :)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2013, 02:06 PM »
If you dig "The Takeaway Secret" I strongly recommend checking out some of Todd Wilbur's books:
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Todd-Wilbur-Top-Secret-Recipe-Books.html

I can post some recipes of clones to try, if you want. Just check the "recipes" link on that site and tell me which one you want, I have all of them.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2013, 09:29 PM »
I received Kenny's new book "More Takeaway Secrets" today (and also a copy of the original "The Takeaway Secret").

Well.. First impressions are very very good! I immediately looked at the curry recipes of course to see whether the recipes were as wide of the mark as the typical publication which claims to have "authentic" recipes but which has anything but. However... Everything Kenny writes on the subject of curry cookery rings true! His recipes could easily be from this very forum in fact there is such close correlation between his techniques and the typical fare here, I can only assume he is (or has been) a member here (or the other place).

Mixed powder... Garlic and ginger paste... A base sauce made by boiling onions with carrot, peppers, coriander stalk, tomatoes & GG paste...!! It is all very familiar indeed.

I'm not suggesting he's nicked anyone's recipes from here, just that he must surely have visited us because I know of nowhere else (apart from the other place) where such recipes are documented and discussed. He even has recipes for Garlic Chilli Chicken and Staff Curry (a strange pick for a book about recreating takeaway food as it is never served to customers?!)

There's a Korma, a biryani, a madras, dopiaza, Balti, bhuna, vindaloo and Bombay aloo. I might take issue with him over the cooking time of his base sauce and the relatively low onion ratio (in proportion to other ingredients), but on first reading it's a pretty damn good attempt at documenting the curry secrets we all know and love. For a beginner with only a passing interest it will surely get them 90% of the way. He even has recipes for pre-cooked chicken and rice (not pilau).

It gives me hope for the quality of the recipes in the rest of the book, which I shall be trying first, as I already know how to cook a pretty good curry :)

Top book, highly recommended for less than a fiver from Amazon!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:02 PM by natterjak »

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 11:54 AM »
(...)
Top book, highly recommended for less than a fiver from Amazon!

Thanks for taking time to write a comprehensive review natterjak. Let us know how if you go into chip-shop type food and the results impress you as much. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes