Author Topic: Hi, just joined!  (Read 4433 times)

Offline paulandtoni

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi, just joined!
« on: November 22, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Hello everyone.

Paul and my wife Toni here, we have joined after picking up a few great recipies. We both love British Indian resturant food and really miss our old local after moving out to Cyprus.

Hoping to pick up some tips and tricks and a resturant style Garlic Chili Chicken recipie if anyone has a good 'un.

Cheers  8)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, just joined!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Hi Paul and Toni, and a warm welcome to cr0.

really miss our old local after moving out to Cyprus.

Oooo, you lucky sods, I think I could just about give up the prospect of a BIR curry if it meant a life in the sun lol.

I love Cyprus and me and the family have been there about 5 times in the last 10 yrs.

So, what take you there Paul, are you an expat or in the forces? or something work related?

Ray :)

Offline paulandtoni

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Hi Ray,

Just work, living near Limassol. This summer was quite punishing, temps reached 48 deg C some days so the winter is a welcome respite. Where do you like to stay Paphos, Limassol, Nicosia?

I will raise a nice cold Keo to you  ;D

Thank you for the welcome.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Hi Paul,

Where do you like to stay Paphos, Limassol, Nicosia?

I have stayed in Limassol, the first time we went but on the last 4 occasions, we've stayed at Protaras.

The last time we were there, the heavens opened for about 5 mins and no more.  The place was absolutely flooded.  The locals and bar owners were dancing in the streets like they'd not seen rain in years, lol.  It was amazing and within 15 mins or so of the rain stopping, the whole place was bone dry, as if nothing had happened!

The only let down now with Cyprus, is how expensive it has become (for the tourist, that is) still, it's a wonderful island, and the people are great.

I will raise a nice cold Keo to you  ;D

Thank you for the welcome.

Lol, a nice cold Keo, awesome, better than that Carlsberg rubbish lol.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Hi Paul,

welcome to the board.

Like Ray i love cyprus and have been many times, but i have only ever stopped in protaras.

out of interest to you both, have you ever tried the indian restraunt in penera on the corner near the crown resort hotel (elamaris)

it is an absolute cracker, if i remember the owners used to have a restraunt in birmingham.

worth a try if you are craving the BIR curry Paul.

i have tried the others in protaras but certainly was not impressed.

have fun

Alan ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 07:36 PM »
Hi Alan,

The only one that I've tried in Protaras was the one over the road from the Flintstones bar.

Had a Jal Frezi, not too good if memory serves.  And in my mind, it was down to not cooking the spices out.  The curry was quite 'gritty'.  Schoolboy error in my book.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 09:55 PM »
yes been there too, not the flinstones lol ;D

when i was complimenting the owner in penera i mentioned the lack of competition in protaras.

she mentioned as part of her research they went to that restraunt you mentioned and said something like they only use 6 spices :o

good resort overall though and the cypriots are great but personally i now go out of season due to the high temps like paul mentioned earlier.

Alan ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Hi Al,

Just thinking back, I remember there being a distinct lack of garlic too.  It's funny because last year, we went to Bulgaria, Sunny Beach, and ate in an Indian restaurant there, and again, a distinct lack of garlic?

I can't for the life of me imagine why this is but it was definately missing.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 10:23 PM »
no garlic in a curry :o

to be honest when i ate in there i did not give it much thought  about the dish other than it was poor and bland and i wont be eating there again.

i was really looking forward to my meal too, as inside the restraunt it looked the part.

i do like a good stiffado or kleftiko in cyprus so go between them most of the time :P

Alan ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Hi Al,

no garlic in a curry :o

Exactly, but I remember it being the first thought that came into my head.

i do like a good stiffado or kleftiko in cyprus

Oh yeah, mouth watering, both of them.  I remember first tasting Haloumi.  It's got to be the nicest cheese I've ever ate.  My wife couldn't eat it though.  She loved the taste, but the fact that it squeeks on your teeth, made her heave lol

©2024 Curry Recipes