Author Topic: KD2 base  (Read 16869 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: KD2 base
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 03:54 PM »
die! - reported spam!
Yes, odd : the original thread has been deleted, yet the spammer's a/c remains active.
Maybe before joining the forum there should be a multiple-choice test : for example --

Which of the following are not a part of Indian cuisine :

Atta
        Ghee
        Hing
        Jirka
        Methi       
        Saunf

WDYT ?

** Phil.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Hi

Wonder if the account was registered by a human who fed his account details into his spam bot? as there already seems to be a 'captcha' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA) challenge on the new user registration form.

Such a shame that scum always seeps into everywhere decent on the internet, at least this forum is almost spam free! apart from this scum bag.

cheers

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Jirka

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Horrified to discover that Kris has "gone metric" in KD2, so for the first time in my life I have had to weigh 2Kg onions and 50g garlic & ginger.
Lay in bed last night and worried about this : T W O kg ??? Surely not.  Finally remembered to check : actual amount O N E kg.  Important if anyone is thinking of replicating this.

All of which led me to another strange discovery : KD has been changing her preferred units with (virtually) every edition of her book !  The oldest I have is the 2002 printing, in which she writes (for chicken curry) "

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Phil,

what are your feelings on the difference in the onion between KD1 & KD2. so far i've felt it best to add the "caramelised" taste via bunjarra but i do realise i don't think i've ever tried caramelising onion as the starting point for base.

i'm thinking of it in terms of the 70s base.

ps i too have found that frying stage to affect the colour of the final base - more frying = darker base

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 04:43 PM »
Jirka

OK, you can join : just sign here, below the words "Pay the bearer GBP 500-00".

Now the really hard part (perhaps) : "Jirka" is actually a valid word in at least one European language -- which language, which inflexion, and what is the base word ?!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 04:49 PM »
what are your feelings on the difference in the onion between KD1 & KD2. so far i've felt it best to add the "caramelised" taste via bunjarra but i do realise i don't think i've ever tried caramelising onion as the starting point for base.
Well, the first thing to say is that I have never tried making or using bunjara, though it is high on my list of "what to try next".  But if I read KD correctly, I don't think she is aiming at caramelising per se : she says "transparent, and beginning to brown at the edges", which is pre-caramelisation to me.

i'm thinking of it in terms of the 70s base.
Would make perfect sense : all the "standard" texts speak of browning the onions, and 60's/70's recipes probably still retain a relatively high proportion of traditional techniques.

ps i too have found that frying stage to affect the colour of the final base - more frying = darker base
That also seems perfectly logical, but because I was using red onions (which were all I had), my base was a funny colour even pre-tomato and spice !  Incidentally, my "standard texts" all recommend Bombay onions : I wonder if they are easily obtained today ?

** Phil.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Do we have the KD2 base published on the site anywhere?
Or can someone post it?
Wouldn't mind giving it a go

HS

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 06:08 PM »
hotstuff09,

this is link to KD1. KD2 is i think same but method is changed slightly. i do have KD2 and could sum up changes if you need.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1652.0

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Hi Jerry
I do have the KD1 book but not KD2, I was just wondering what the changes were in the two bases,
And yes Jerry, could you please sum up the changes for me,
Thanks
HS

©2024 Curry Recipes