Author Topic: KD2 base  (Read 16870 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: KD2 base
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Hi Jerry
I do have the KD1 book but not KD2, I was just wondering what the changes were in the two bases,
And yes Jerry, could you please sum up the changes for me,
Thanks
HS

i have not made KD2 base and have not made KD1 since joining the site - bases here are significantly more developed.

KD2 ingredient changes. 4 tbsp olive oil (KD1 8 tbsp veg oil), 1kg onion (900g)

KD2 method changes:

step 1 onions cooked "fried gently" with salt and oil for 30 mins before adding ginger/garlic (just chopped not blended) cooked 2mins, then water simmer 25 mins.

step 2 same
step 3 same

i think in the book the idea of the changes is stop that smell of the ginger and onion cooking.

if you need more detail then pm me email and i will type out full instructions.

fyi: i know each of us needs to follow their instinct and try things new. having tried many base methods i just put everything into the pot at the start - there is no discernible difference.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Thanks Jerry for taking the time to do that for me,

I have never done any of her bases, (I use Admins New Base) Just wanted to try one out and see what it's like, The reports on here are not good though, but as always it's down to personal taste

and like you I just chuck everything in the pot,

Cheers
HS

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 06:28 PM »
The reports on here are not good though, but as always it's down to personal taste

hotstuff09,

i made KD1 for a long time and know it rates pretty good against the competition. there is a threshold which a base needs to pass and KD1 certainly does.

when you start adding other ingredients in like pepper, fresh coriander and for me carrot you can certainly detect a difference in the final curry.

admins base is one of the few that i've not made but can see from the recipe that it passes the threshold for sure.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Slightly confused, Jerry : when you say "Admin's base certainly passes that threshold", are you saying that you put it in the same category as KD1, or that you put it in the same category as the recipes that include pepper, fresh coriander and carrot ? 

** Phil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Phil,

i've not made admins base but having looked at the recipe in the past i've felt it was good and would pass threshold. KD1 is a base i've made a lot - it certainly passes threshold ie you can make a very good curry from it.

after joining this site the 1st thing that struck me (from KD1) was that various "other" bulk veg were added to the site bases. these i feel make a significant difference to the resulting curry ie improve it well beyond the threshold a good example would be CA's or Razors base. there are many others that sit in this top slot and much depends on personal preference.

there is of course more to it than just bulk veg as the ashoka base proves. the amount of oil, onion, whole spice and general spicing are equally important

the important thing is to try a selection of bases until you find one that suits. i like the rajver as an example as it contains coconut milk. i also like the saffron for the bulk veg effect. i like the ifindforu base as it's very different to most. i make the mytake when i want a small batch.

at the end of the day the base only gets you so far and the rest of the jigsaw needs to be in place to make that final 5% leap.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Hi all, I have made both KD bases and i found KD2 to be very good, i found it better than Darths 100%, Tazs,Bruce Edwards and proberbly Curry2go(but didnt gently cook onions in oil and little water first), I  would have to cook Curry2go to spec to find out for sure, Now I am ready to make a new batch of base and am not sure which to try, stick to what i know? curry 2 go to spec? KD2 with variations? or a completely new base ie Rajver

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I'm biased and would recommend the Zaal base or Little India base  ;D

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 06:22 AM »
cheers curryhell, will have a look, have you tried chewytikka 3hour base?

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 01:52 PM »
Also consider the up to date Glasgow (3.5Kg) base by BigBoaby1.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 01:20 AM »
cheers curryhell, will have a look, have you tried chewytikka 3hour base?
I have indeed and it's a damn fine base. Be wary of the glasgow base unless you know what the Glasgow flavour is and that is what you're looking for. Our ideal BIR down South does not necessarily equate to Glasgow curry.  That's not to say that a Glasgow curry isn't damn tasty  :P, just not what we look for down here ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes