Author Topic: KD2 base  (Read 16760 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: KD2 base
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Made chewys base but time was of the essence and not sure if i cooked onions for long enough, CH did you leave your onions whole and if so how long did they take to cook?

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 06:28 PM »
I don't really understand Curryhells warning against the Glasgow base, as, having made it half a dozen times now, I find it gives me a very similar dish to the SNS/Saffron base, but is just a little sweeter, richer tasting and most importantly, very consistent.
I found the Zaal and a few other bases to be very different to my "Southern" tastes, than the Glasgow base has been.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 07:09 PM »
I'm not exactly sure just how authentic the "Glasgow base" really is, but I noticed over the past 5-6 years that most of the takeaway curries I ordered more-or-less tasted the same with only small variations. I don't buy many takeaways nowadays because of the similarity between curries which should taste very different from each other.

On the other hand, using a mildly spiced base such as CT's, CA's, Zaal et al means that you can create a unique curry which tastes of the spices, herbs, meat and vegetables added without the intrusions from a rich base.

But each to their own - it's a free country and there's loads of room for different tastes and opinions on this site. :)

Offline Keefy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 04:32 PM »
Until I (very recently) joined this site, all I knew about BIR was what I'd read in KD's The Curry Secret and The New Curry Secret. I live in Berlin, Germany, and believe you me, BIR is (or can be) wonderful - (I'm a British immigrant/expat here) - German Indian Restaurants, with a few honourable and notable exceptions are generally, well.....ermmm.....think of an anagram of "carp" :-)

So, anyway, I experimented a couple of times with the KD2 base and made a few dishes from the New Curry Secret with which I was delighted - aha!, this is close to BIR, the closest I've got so far, at least - and accompanied them with her Peshwari Pilau - best rice dish I've ever made - sweet and fragrant. I'll certainly make it again.

Reading about bases here, I think I want to make the next one slightly sweeter and the idea of adding a red or green pepper appeals to me for that reason. Cabbage and/or carrot and/or potato? Maybe.

However, my question is mainly about approaches to bases. In the New Curry Secret, KD makes the point that KD2 smells good even while you're making it, and I must admit that I like the smell of frying onions.

OK experts - (1) any discernible differences between frying/boiling when it comes to bases? (2) What difference(s) do the omission or addition of potatoes, cabbage and carrots make?

Many thanks in advance.

(PS - had a brief email exchange with KD - she's really friendly and cares about producing quality, tasty food - bless 'er!)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 09:16 PM »
I don't really understand Curryhells warning against the Glasgow base, as, having made it half a dozen times now, I find it gives me a very similar dish to the SNS/Saffron base, but is just a little sweeter, richer tasting and most importantly, very consistent.
I found the Zaal and a few other bases to be very different to my "Southern" tastes, than the Glasgow base has been.
My comment was not meant as a warning, more of a heads up.  I know some of our curry heads on the site north of the border have found curry nirvana with this base, which is a fantastic result for them.  For those seeking the unique "glasgow" curry taste, this base from what i've read seems hits the mark.  But for some of us, who seek a different taste, it may be a little off the mark.  The majority of restaurants that i frequent cook in the traditional BIR style with the different flavours being created from the added ingredients rather than having the "one pot"  finished curry and just changing the flavours slightly.  Will be interesting to hear others views.

Offline Keefy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2013, 02:03 PM »

Reading about bases here, I think I want to make the next one slightly sweeter and the idea of adding a red or green pepper appeals to me for that reason. Cabbage and/or carrot and/or potato? Maybe.

However, my question is mainly about approaches to bases. In the New Curry Secret, KD makes the point that KD2 smells good even while you're making it, and I must admit that I like the smell of frying onions.

OK experts - (1) any discernible differences between frying/boiling when it comes to bases? (2) What difference(s) do the omission or addition of potatoes, cabbage and carrots make?

Many thanks in advance.

(PS - had a brief email exchange with KD - she's really friendly and cares about producing quality, tasty food - bless 'er!)

Answered my own question this weekend, it seems. Made a big pot of CA base sauce, and it worked like a dream. Reasonably thick and with a "zzzzz" of ginger on the tongue. Have some pre-cooked lentils as well - going to try a dhansak some time soon.

Offline ottis

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 08:36 PM »
My comment was not meant as a warning, more of a heads up.  I know some of our curry heads on the site north of the border have found curry nirvana with this base, which is a fantastic result for them.  For those seeking the unique "glasgow" curry taste, this base from what i've read seems hits the mark.  But for some of us, who seek a different taste, it may be a little off the mark.  The majority of restaurants that i frequent cook in the traditional BIR style with the different flavours being created from the added ingredients rather than having the "one pot"  finished curry and just changing the flavours slightly.  Will be interesting to hear others views.
..Hi curryhell i just wanted to say ive already tried this base and is very reminiscent in taste to what i'm use to in Manchester.. to date it's the closest i've tried..you mentioned about a one pot curry but if you look at the ingredients i think you are way of the mark..you have to remember there is more than one way to make a curry...As i said there is nothing in the recipe to suggest a one pot finished curry..below is the recipe...to me this base is the blank canvas and there is no end to the currys it will produce..The currys themselves are not made by Glaswegians but Indian chefs and just happen to work in Glasgow..Cheers pal ..ottis....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D7tAuZt8Iw

5 KILLO ONIONS
300 ML VEGETABLE OIL..DON'T ADD TOO MUCH
1 TSP CUMIN SEEDS
1 TABLE SPOON SALT
1 LEVEL CHEF SPOON TURMERIC....
1 TSP GARAM MASALA
1 TSP TSP CHILLI POWDER
30 GRAMS COCONUT CREAM
1 TABEL SPOON TOMATO PUREE
WATER 3/4 WAY UP POT

©2024 Curry Recipes