Author Topic: Has the thought of Christmas goose already erased all curry creativity ?  (Read 4042 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
It's only 7th December, and apart from spammers and the occasional message of sympathy for Vindaloo Crazy, all contributions seem to have dried up.  For my part, I am continuing to try to fly the (curry) flag and am today marinading some pre-cooked lamb in the remains of my earlier chicken Madras sauce in the hopes of having a simple and easy lamb curry within the next couple of days.

** Phil.

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
i need to make a new base sauce, the last was pretty poor but had to use it all up. i honestly think i used to make better curries when i was new to the site.

im going back to basics

ps: farmfoods have real decent frozen turkeys if your getting one. right size for a normal oven too. ive no idea who has an oven big enough for some ive seen, just bloody huge.

i did look at goose for a bit while walking the aisle but thought naaa

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
i need to make a new base sauce, the last was pretty poor but had to use it all up. i honestly think i used to make better curries when i was new to the site.

im going back to basics
KD1, Jimmy : you can't go wrong with KD1 ...

ps: farmfoods have real decent frozen turkeys if your getting one. right size for a normal oven too. ive no idea who has an oven big enough for some ive seen, just bloody huge.  i did look at goose for a bit while walking the aisle but thought naaa
We're real cheapskates here : we wait until the shops are desperate to close for Christmas and then see if we can get a goose or a bronze turkey reduced to GBP 5-00.  Usually works, but only safe if you have a backup plan !

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Hi

Well, made 2 litres of spiced oil last night and made a splendid madras strength Dopiaza which was spot on :)

Running low on base sauce so need to make some more of that. Start to get twitchy when the stock in the freezer gets low  ;)

However am also working on a clone of my local TA's Saag Aloo, which is coming on very well. Will post the recipe on the forum soon. The wife has been my taste tester on this one, and at the moment she is convinced that it is better than the local TA's version. So hopefully some people on here will like it.

Regards

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
aye its a wee bit quiet around here recently, sorry to say i aint been helping much lately to spark the place up a bit, had the old head to the grinding stone a bit much lately. if you seen the cost of all that toy story 3 gunk that kids want for xmas then you know why.

at home this week though :)

i feel like a slave sometimes.

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
will do the kd base :)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi

Phil, a bronze for a fiver! yes please. Usually just get a leg myself, can get a monster for a few quid. As for left overs, best part of Christmas.

Regards

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
if you seen the cost of all that toy story 3 gunk that kids want for xmas then you know why.
"Toy Story 3 gunk" ?  Ee, they don't know they're born these days.  We woz so poor as lads we couldn't afford us tinsel at Christmas, so we just had to point Grandpa at t'Christmas tree and wait for 'im to sneeze...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:25 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
As for left overs, best part of Christmas.
I have to say, my left-over lamb (from a roast leg, bone-in) was an absolute revelation.  In the past I've tried currying left-over turkey at Christmas, and it has been a complete and utter waste of time, but having finally managed to get roast lamb to soften up enough to soak up the spices I now reckon I can manage the same with anything !  Patience, marinading, and long long slow cooking seem to be the answer.

** Phil.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi

I find it best to cook everything else to finish either curry or stew, then add the precooked meat diced up, and heat through gently. Same when doing a dinner, just reheat the meat in the gravy.

Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes