Author Topic: snowwww  (Read 3371 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
snowwww
« on: December 07, 2010, 03:47 PM »
was gonna revive last years snow topic, but thought i would do another one instead.

be nice though to see some more igloo's being made :)

anyway i was thinking it realy aint that long since it was last snowing here, it never left till realy late i think middle of march here in northern scotland and came sooner than usual. Im thinking 7 months without snow here. last snow time i never saw a blade of grass peek through from start of december till start of march i kid you not. please please dont let this be the start of it till march again.

It was coldest place in uk for past few days around here -15 c though in the town the van temp gauge was showing at worst -11 c.

i drove from ullapool to aberdeen, then back from aberdeen to fort william last week through the night and let just say it wasint a journey for the faint-hearted. while driving along i took a few pictures, mostly on the way back in the daytime, though couple on isle of lewis on saturday. I started in stornoway taking the ferry then went for a bloody awfull curry in ullapool ( they even forgot to put my veg pakora in the takeaway bag which i paid for, never found out till i stopped a bit outta town onwards to inverness. and no yellow sauce or bag of salad) it was totaly rubbish, so anyone heading to ullapool forget getting a curry there totaly rotten. and the ?15.20 i paid for a vindallo and nan they did give me was a bit steep just to get poisoned.

i did the same journey a week earlier and that time i stopped for a chinese in ullapool, this time i asked for a chicken curry with fried rice and when i stopped found they had giving me a chicken fried rice.

saturday morning in tolsta isle of lewis

in stornoway on saturday daytime

will post load more once i get the lead to get em off my phone, these i emailed to my wife.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: snowwww
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Nice pictures, Jimmy : many thanks for posting them.  I spoke to friends in Inverness when the bad weather first hit, and they said that thing up North were pretty bad -- they'd had to cancel a trip to East Kilbride because of the weather, and their visitors from Lewis were concerned because two of the three crossings scheduled for the next day had already been cancelled.  Here in the heart of Kent it is cold, but nowhere as near as cold as in the North of Scotland, but I have to say the frost-clad trees on the ridge at Crook Road, Brenchley, really were a picture, and I was half-inclined to return there to take some photographs.  Also drove over Hunton Hill when the snow still lay on the trees, and a snow-clad tree arch to drive through is a rather impressive sight ...

** Phil.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Im in Shropshire at the mo and we've had about an inch of snow all told, the frost here is pretty thick though, i don't think i've ever seen it so thick. It makes for some beautifull xmas photo's.
Jen's at home in Wooler which is near Berwick-upon-tweed, So far Jens had about 4 foot of snow, about a foot more than we had there the same time last year. There are icicles hanging off the gutters up there that are over a metre in length. An old Lady was knocked unconscious on the high street the other day when a lump of ice and snow slid off a shop roof and hit her, her friend was ok but had to be dug out.
Both old Ladies are fine.
I feckin hate the snow, when you have tiled a roof, in the falling snow, within sight of the ocean, with an arctic wind blowing at you. Any silly, romantic ideas of that fluffy white stuff are soon dispelled.

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:08 PM »
ok grabbed the pics off the phone.

the pics were taking from aberdeen to inverness. the worst weather was between kieth and elgin.

i took some at night ullapool- inverness they just didint come out to clear (very dark)

AHHHH FINALY INVERNESS AHEAD, -13 c that night in inverness.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Peter
Where are you in Salop?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Jimmy2x

Is it just me or has the snow become a national crisis only since it fell on Edinburgh and Glasgow? I don't remember that many people giving a shit last week when we were up to our knees in it here in Dundee.

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:20 PM »
heya stephen, yeah dundee had it real bad. friends in forfar were hit very bad.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:29 PM »
jimmy2x

Have work colleagues in Forfar and Brechin and they got it in bucketloads, looks like western Tayside has been badly affected this week though.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:44 AM »
Im just outside Highley staying with my parents, Timber built home with real fires, theres actually about 30-40 little chalets along the severn valley here with people living in them, most are elderly but everyone looks after each other.
Heres the postcode if you want to have a look via google maps, satelite image is pretty good with lots of zoom.
Wv166nu. My Parents are considering selling up so if anyones interested let me know.
The golf cours 14th green is about 50 footsteps out of the front gate.
The train station is Highley, we only get Steam trains through here and the Father xmas special is running now i believe.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Timber built home with real fires, 30-40 little chalets along the severn valley here with people living in them, most are elderly but everyone looks after each other.
Satelite image is pretty good with lots of zoom.
Wv166nu. My Parents are considering selling up so if anyones interested let me know.

Oh if only.  Envy is a terrible thing, and having read your message I am now suffering from a surfeit of it !

©2024 Curry Recipes