Author Topic: HELP please! -Vegetarian alternative to turkey -  (Read 13583 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
HELP please! -Vegetarian alternative to turkey -
« on: December 08, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Just as the title says.....I've got my brother coming to Chrissy dinner and he's a fairly new convert to vegetarianism (he does still eat fish though). Can anyone recommend (or preferably provide ;D ) a good recipe alternative to Turkey/Goose please.

Any help will be very much appreciated :)

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: HELP please! -Vegetarian alternative to turkey -
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Just chuck a Salmon at him.
Or there's that poxy vegetarian meatloaf stuff the undernourished eat to try and convince themselves that they don't need meat.
Beans on toast?
Feed him turkey and tell its flavoured Tofu.
Tofu.
Lentil casserole.
Lentils.
Just tell him to sod off and enjoy meat.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Can anyone recommend (or preferably provide ;D ) a good recipe alternative to Turkey/Goose please.
Since this is a BIR forum, there is only one possible answer : Masala Dosa.  I am a 100% died-in-the-wool carnivore, but I swear I could live on Masala Dosa for a month and never once miss the flavour and texture of meat.

** Phil.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I don't believe that, even veggies miss the flavour of fried bacon, they even have veggie alternatives to the stuff.
I just don't like veggies, they are probably the worlds biggest hypocrites, they don't eat meat but eat meat flavoured substitutes for meat. Thats just mental.
And they try and force their beliefs onto you like they're on some silly sort of holy war, getting points for conversions.
And if you have a veggie round for dinner you have to go out of your way to find em something veggie to eat, putting yourself out for them. Yet if you go round to their house for a meal would they cook you a nice Bloody red steak with a nice big lump of juicy fat running around the egde of it and just slightly caremelised? would they?.
I had a veggie living with me for a while when i was in my twenties, it took 3 weeks of frying bacon on saturday mornings before he cracked and saw the error of his ways.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Whenever I do a family buffet I just give the veggies the choice of pizza or quiche.

It is a nuisance catering for them!

Paul

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 06:14 PM »
I just don't like veggies, they are probably the worlds biggest hypocrites, they don't eat meat but eat meat flavoured substitutes for meat. Thats just mental.
Ah, time for an argument, and there I was thinking it was going to be a quiet day  :)

OK, here's my take on vegetarianism and vegetarians :

1) I am a carnivore through-and-through; I eat red meat, white meat, raw pork sausages (Richmond, of course), and think that a day without meat is a day wasted.

2) I respect vegetarians enormously.  They are willing to live their lives according to their principles -- principles that in fact, I share.  I don't want any animal to have to die just so that I can eat, but in reality those animals are going to die whether I eat them or not, so I put my principles to one side, conveniently forget the horrors of the abattoir (except when I drive past it, and see those poor sheep in their trailer, not yet knowing that they are about to die, but clearly sensing something terribly wrong) and then I remember why I ought to be a vegetarian.

So in reality, I make compromises : I eat beef, but not veal; chicken, but not poussin; Chinese crispy belly of pork, but not suckling pig, and so on.  And all the while, I know that I am in the wrong, and vegetarians are in the right.   I just wish I had the strength of character to be one.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:14 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 06:31 PM »
Why shouldn't an animal die just to provide meat? Thats how we evolved, fair enough we used to use the whole carcass bones skin n all but that was just the end product of our hunger and need to provide for our loved ones.
As for Veal, well thats an argument in itself, dairy farmers would love to be able to sell all the Young male cows that they produce for the table as apposed to dog food manufacturers and the like.
And i would quite happily eat the Veal, its crazy to throw it away. So what if its a baby cow. Same goes for suckling pig and all the other tasty ickle baby foodstuffs there are walking round.
I will say that i don't think much of fuar grar or whatever its called, you know, force fed geese. Thats a bit sick that.
Now if you force fed a cow beer then thats different, thats Kobi!.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Why shouldn't an animal die just to provide meat?
Why should it have to ?

But I don't want to pursue this argument unnecessarily : I've already admitted that I eat meat, so I am in no position to criticise others who do the same.  However, Stephen Lindsay's post in another thread does really bring home the reality of the "life" of a battery hen.  And serves to remind me why, for me at least, buying free-range birds (and free-range eggs) is not so much a choice as a necessity.

Oddly enough (I'm just reading back what you wrote for a second time), I do eat foie gras; that's inconsistent, I know.  But I also know that in the market at Toulouse they have two-week-old lambs hanging on butchers' hooks, and that (to me) is simply obscene.

** Phil.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 06:46 PM »
I agree its an argument and i won't spend any more time ruining Domi's thread. Sorry Domi.
Try Googling for Anthony Bourdains Vegetarian Meatloaf recipe. Top chef that man.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Try Googling for Anthony Bourdains Vegetarian Meatloaf recipe. Top chef that man.
Hmm, given the man's reputation (he is, after all, the man who called vegetarians "the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food"), I would expect "Anthony Bourdain's Vegetarian Meatloaf" to be made of vegetarians rather than for vegetarians !

©2024 Curry Recipes