Author Topic: Hear Jen Sing.  (Read 10531 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hear Jen Sing.
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 09:47 PM »
yes know that one too lol although not from being a kid but from it being one of the songs on our set list hahaha

i see we like the same stuff :)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 09:52 PM »
try this one jen, get em up on the floor  (though might not be to suitable for the older lady :P)

The boys from the county hell - The pogues

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Great stuff, Peter, Jen & Jimmy : exactly my sort of music.  Only listened to "Crazyman Michael" so far, but "Fields of Athenry" will be next, as that is absolutely one of my favourites.  The best version I know is the one linked from "In Callandar" : http://www.incallander.co.uk/music/fields of athenry.wav.  I used to know who sung this version, but it escapes me at this moment ...

When are they touring deepest Kent, Peter ?
** Phil.

I think that's Paddy Reilly singing there, Phil...... I grew up listening to all the old Irish songs, brings back some good memories ;D (Dad was a jock, born in 1920 :) )

Have to say I love the "Black velvet band" by the Dubliners....My father-in-law's a good Irish Maaaaaaannn ;D and I've sung many a song with him whilst in our cups lol

Love the sound of Jen's voice too ;D Fields of Athenry, Paint it black and Steeler's wheel!!!! GREAT SONGS!!! I love the Stones!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:13 PM by Domi »

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 10:18 PM »
hey domi know that song well, infact can pretty much recite every dubliners song and most of the irish folk and scottish stuff.

all my family is irish so that helps.

heres another great song

The Dubliners-Rocky Road to Dublin

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 11:37 AM »
I think that's Paddy Reilly singing there, Phil...... I grew up listening to all the old Irish songs, brings back some good memories ;D (Dad was a jock, born in 1920 :) )
Not convinced, I am afraid Domi : the "In Callander" singer (1) has a very pronounced rhotic "r" (a Scots trait) and clearly enunciates the final "ing" of "calling", whilst Paddy Reilly's "r" is virtually untrilled and he pronounces "calling" as "call'n' (no IPA on this board, so I can only do approximations !). 

I see from my notes that I have the singer of the "In Callander" version as Pete St John, but listening to the latter that is also not a possibility.  So still no wiser  :(  Any more nominations, anyone ? (Or maybe I should just ask the "In Callander" webmaster !)

** Phil.

(1) Anonymous In Callander singer
(2) Paddy Reilly
(3) Pete St John

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
"In Callander" singer identified :)
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Just been in touch with the "In Callander" webmaster, and he has revealed that he himself is the mystery singer.  He writes "The singer and guitarist (12 string) was myself, Alistair Reid, amateur folk singer and very unprofessional creator of the website."

** Phil.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 07:51 PM »
My mistake too...I listened to the Paddy Reilly version on youtube and not the link you posted :-XI blame it on a herbal cigarette I had last night.......been months since my last and I quite forgot how strong they are nowadays :o lol Paddy Reilly's is the best version though ;D  :P

BTW jimmy2x (love that movie! :P ) The Dubliners' version of the sicknote beats the colliers too :P ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes