Author Topic: Wow, you Brits spell just as poorly as my fellow Americans...  (Read 13020 times)

Offline TasteTester

• Chef
    • View Profile
I am in good company, I suppose. Not sure whether I feel justified seeing that the UK's spelling is just as bad as ours or if I feel disillusioned.  ::) lol Don't you know that people with British accents get cast for all the smart roles in American cinema?

Can someone tell me why or offer a theory on what when wrong teaching, "You change the 'Y' to 'I' and add 'E-S'!"?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, you Brits spell just as poorly as my fellow Americans...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Can someone tell me why or offer a theory on what when wrong teaching, "You change the 'Y' to 'I' and add 'E-S'!"?

I assume you're referring to people pluralising curry to 'currys' when in fact it should be curries.

Yes it makes me wince too but it makes bugger-all difference to how well you can cook those curries!   ::)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Wow,Your British spelling is just as incorrect as ourselves, in the colonies.
Yep!

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:57 PM »
i think most of it is because this is the internet, not a paper to hand in for a job. we all get lazy and canny be ersed.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 11:15 PM »
Am not a Brit am Skottish and I can spell kurrys wrongly too!

Offline TasteTester

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 11:19 PM »

I assume you're referring to people pluralising curry to 'currys' when in fact it should be curries.

Yes it makes me wince too but it makes bugger-all difference to how well you can cook those curries!   ::)

Yep! Oh, and the -'s. The random apostrophe. I really thought that was an American endemic.

I am a shit speller, and part of it is the fault of my country for changing the spelling of English words at random. I never know if things should end in -ise or -ize. If I need to use the word more than once I spell it both ways... just to be safe. And maybe look like whichever one was wrong was just a typo. :D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline TasteTester

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Am not a Brit am Skottish and I can spell kurrys wrongly too!

Okay, don't kill me now, but I always considered Scots as Brits, too. You are the mainland of the British Isles and part of Great Britain. I have learned that people from the British Isles get particular about with whom to identify themselves. Confusing to me! Especially as a kid in history class when England AND Great Britain won that war against France for the Colonies. And then there was the UK. Whew, it was hard learning all your names. Our teachers didn't' really explain it, and I think it's because they themselves hadn't a clue.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 11:43 PM »
Yup it's complicated and I won't kill you lol but we Scots, in the main, like to think of ourselves as Scottish first and British second (if at all). That's a bit simplistic but it works for a lot of us!!

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 07:41 AM »
Oh no, a nationalist.  ::)

(Shouldn't that be curry's, by the way)...

©2024 Curry Recipes