Author Topic: Wow, you Brits spell just as poorly as my fellow Americans...  (Read 13000 times)

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, you Brits spell just as poorly as my fellow Americans...
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 09:17 AM »
I'll be the first to admit they my spelling is poor to say the least.
One of my biggest problems is "There, their, they're" which word to use, in what context?.
Also the apostrophe, i have major problems with that, i've, we've, hav'nt.
Its Laziness on my part, i should do a search and read a few lines of English, then make a point of remembering the correct spelling for the problems.
But i won't, and that's lazy.
Is that laziness, or is it ignorance?..
Both i would say.
As for England and Scotland both being GB or Uk. They are, we are. But the way Englands politicians have ruined England, i can't for the life of me see why anybody would want to be joined with us. And i'm English.
A link to ponder.
http://www.express.co.uk/web/europecrusade

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 10:22 AM »
the united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland is the correct term hence all the confusion.

from wiki

Great Britain is the largest island of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Politically, Great Britain also refers to England, Scotland and Wales in combination,[9] and therefore also includes a number of outlying islands such as the Isle of Wight, Anglesey, the Isles of Scilly, the Hebrides, and the island groups of Orkney and Shetland. It does not include the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands which are not part of the United Kingdom, instead being self-governing dependent territories of that state with their own legislative and taxation systems

guess i just confused everyone some more lol

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 10:39 AM »
Yup it's complicated and I won't kill you lol but we Scots, in the main, like to think of ourselves as Scottish first and British second (if at all). That's a bit simplistic but it works for a lot of us!!
Too simplistic for me : Great Britiain would only be "Little Britain" if it weren't for Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, and all of those small-but-vital parts that make us "Great".  Be proud of your Scottishness by all means, Stephen, but be proud of your Britishness too !

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Well, I like to consider myself as being from 'The Red Republic of Mancunia'   ;D ;D

but be proud of your Britishness too !

This statement kind of baffles me Phil!  What is it about Britishness that we're really meant to be proud of? 

I know that we as a nation have offered an awful lot to the world in the past, I also know that other nations have paid heavily for our ambition.

Maybe there are things to be proud of but there is an awful lot to be ashamed of too!, an awful lot!!!!

Ray :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 01:05 PM »
This statement kind of baffles me Phil!  What is it about Britishness that we're really meant to be proud of? 

I know that we as a nation have offered an awful lot to the world in the past, I also know that other nations have paid heavily for our ambition.

Maybe there are things to be proud of but there is an awful lot to be ashamed of too!, an awful lot!!!!
Agreed (we're getting into an analogue of the vegetarianism debate here, I feel.).  On thinking about it, perhaps "be proud" wasn't really the idea I was trying to convey : rather more, "feel British, as well as feeling Scottish", might be a better way of putting it.

Incidentally, Ray, your Tandoori Red has not been forgotten but I needed an appropriate unbreakable container in which to post it, and one has just materialised so I hope it will catch this afternoon's post.

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Thanks Phil, can't wait to get my hands on it  :).

Ray :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 02:40 PM »
sorry Phil but I feel Scottish and don't really feel British, not all Scots would agree with me but many would.

Funny how a thread that started off about spelling has ended up becoming one about cultural identity. I think I may be some way to blame for that.  ::)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 03:14 PM »
I have a feeling, Stephen, that your view reflects not only that of many of your fellow Scots, but also the Welsh (and, in the larger perspective of the United Kingdom, the Northern Irish as well).  That is, whilst we English feel British first and English second, the Scots feel Scottish, the Welsh feel Welsh, and the Northern Irish feel Irish.  Would you agree ?

** Phil.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 04:18 PM »
I don't know if i feel English anymore, i feel like a Brummie, always will no matter where i park my r's. I am English, i am proud that my grandfather fought in the 2nd world war against the Nazi's. I used to be proud of England, but lately, i just don't know.
I suppose i should be saying, am i proud of multi-cultural England in its present state?
The answers no for me.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 04:36 PM »
hey Phil

Can best relate your question to people I have met, my best mate was with a Welsh girl for years and she felt passionate about her country. I've worked with a couple of people from Northern Ireland and found their identity to be less so passionate, perhaps influenced by the troubles? There was certainly a sense that their identity seemed a bit more complicated. As for England, I'm not so sure, I have family in Sunderland, Coventry, Reading, although being relatives they all have Scottish parents so they are maybe not the best examples. I get a sense that people from Yorkshire or Lancashire have a strong regional identity?

©2024 Curry Recipes