Author Topic: Wow, you Brits spell just as poorly as my fellow Americans...  (Read 13023 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, you Brits spell just as poorly as my fellow Americans...
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 07:36 PM »
I have far more affinity with my Scottish heritage than my English (or Yorkshire) side and I've grown up in Yorkshire. Strange thing really, in my heart I feel Scottish. My Father-in-law hails from Tipperary and I've never met a more proud Irishman, in fact he and I tag-team on the Sassenachs ;D 'cos when we're pished, we're Celts!!

When it comes down to being proud of where you're from it's a bit like this: When Huddersfield play L**ds, I'm "Huddersfield"....when Yorkshire play Lancashire, people from Leeds AND Huddersfield become "Yorkshire" When England play Scotland, the Tykes and the Mancs become "English" though I'm "Scotland" yet when they play France or Germany, I'm "British" ;D It really depends who we're against as to what we are pmsl ;D Fickle feckers eh?

Andy Murray when he's winning is "British" in the English media......as soon as he loses, he's back to a Scot :p But to the Scots, he's a Scot win lose or draw lol :P

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 08:27 PM »
I really don't get all this proud to be this and proud to be that malarkey  ;)  What is there to be proud of?  I'm a Manc born and bred, I'm not proud to be a Manc nor am I ashamed of that fact either!  It just so happens that this is the area that I was born, I had no say in it.

I also feel no rivalry with anybody from Yorkshire, just because I happen to be from Lancashire. 

Most of my family are proud Irish folk (O'Brien) but I don't feel Irish one Iota, how can I when I'm English.  How can I be proud to be of such a mixed ancestry.  What is it that I'm meant to be proud of?  There is no such thing as a true Englishman, Scotsman, Irishman and so on.  We have been invaded that many times down centuries that we surely can't claim to be anything but northern European (read Scandinavian/Germanic)

I also don't get how Aussies are so proud to be Aussies?  You originate from these shores, are you thefore proud to be British too, same with our cousins from the good ole U S of A, Canada, South Africa.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking anyone, I just don't get the whole, being proud of something that you had no say in!

I am however, a proud Man United fan, proud of my clubs history and heritage, proud of the fact that we are supported up and down the country as well as in Manchester, proud that even in the most unreachable parts of the world, the names of Bobby Charlton, George Best and Dennis Law, are so well known.  I chose to be a United fan, I had my say in it, and that's why I can be proud

Viva United, Viva the Red republik of Mancunia ;D ;D ;D

Shurrup Domi before ya start :-*

Ray ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 08:52 PM »
when we're pished, we're Celts!!

way to go Domi!!!

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 08:55 PM »
I agree with everything Razor said except the bit about Man U, which for me would be Liverpool FC!

;D

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 10:06 PM »
This is the problem of being English nowadays. You're taught to despise who you are and ignore your own heritage.

I'm actually proud of my history and what my people have brought to the world.

Offline trucker5774

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 10:13 PM »
I downt no wot yoo was all torkin abowt. eye'm a scouser and yers arr all torkin a diffrnt langwidge to wot i got brawt ip wiv :-\ ::) :o

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Shurrup Domi before ya start :-*

Ray ;D

Yer orright luv, me lips're sealed....serves me right for going commando at -17c :o

I downt no wot yoo was all torkin abowt. eye'm a scouser and yers arr all torkin a diffrnt langwidge to wot i got brawt ip wiv :-\ ::) :o

calm down! calm down! dedon'dodatderedodey? :D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 10:28 PM »
This is the problem of being English nowadays. You're taught to despise who you are and ignore your own heritage.

I've not been taught to despise what or who I am VC, what I'm saying is, what or who am I?  I'm English as I was born in England, can I be proud of that? What's there to be proud of?

I think you should only be proud of something if you are associated by choice, not by circumstance!

Obviously this doesn't include being proud of you kin, that's a heartfelt pride which is a different thing altogether.

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 11:49 PM »

OK, before I respond to this, I need to get one thing clear : am I right in thinking that you are a Briton who has emigrated to Australia, as opposed to an Australian born and bred ?

** Phil.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 04:42 AM »
Yup, From Liverpool area, been here for two years.

©2024 Curry Recipes