Author Topic: madras, dopiaza and dhansak  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
madras, dopiaza and dhansak
« on: December 12, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

Bottom left CAs Dhansak, bottom right CAs Madras, top right Dopiaza from the Modern Balti Cookbook and top left is CAs Jalfrezi (but cant see it)
Made these for my darts night with the usual suspects to follow ( rice, aloo parathas, cauliflower parathas, mint dip, mint raita and various onion salad type things )

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: madras, dopiaza and dhansak
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 07:03 PM »
good effort UF looks lovely thanks for taking the time

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Hi UF

Wish you had taken some bigger pictures, can't really see your efforts properly :(

Good work though - big effort cooking 3 at once ;)

Regards

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:40 PM »
way to go UF

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Hi UF,

Looking good  8)

What's interesting is how different they look given they are derived from similar basic ingredients ("forumula curries", if you will; though I call them "BIR curries"  ;))

How did they taste?  Did they taste the same?  Or did they taste quite different?  Did you deviate from the posted recipes at all?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:53 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:31 PM »
Thanks UF for taking the time to post your photographs. Personally I prefere to make three curries myself. Once you have defrosted the base,  the G/G paste and Bunjarra if appropriate you might as well have enough for three and just go for it. IMHO PP

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 01:43 PM »
Hi, They ALL taste different from each other .
CA Dhansak is a big favourite of mine and the other half

CA Madras is very tomatoey which is another must in my home

Dopiaza from Modern Balti Cookbook is very sweet, but not sickly sweet, because of the pastes adds something extra (probably the little vinegar taste).

CA Jalfrezi again another favourite of mine especially on Wednesday nights which is Darts Night.
Have made CAs Madras, Modern Balti Cookbook Madras, Authentic Balti Cookbook Madras, 100 % Madras clone recipe http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=674.0
 adding the Ashoka Bunjara (with the ginger and garlic paste from the Ashoka recipe).

ALL are very different indeed as mentioned before CA Madras is very tomatoey but excellent, MBC one has that vinegar taste to it , ABC has that balti taste to it with a little hint of burnt type taste and the Madras Clone plus Ashoka Bunjara and G/G paste just takes me back to the middle to late 80s, wondeful taste.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:57 AM »
thanks Unclefrank, up till your post above I was convinced that the bunjarra and G/G paste from the Ashoka were the hidden secret to recreating regional perfection for me. Now I realise you are so right it brings back the 70/80s flavours and smells that are deeply recorded in my subconscious. Thanks too for using them. It may also be an age preference now and not necessarily regional unless of course you to are a Glaswegian. PP

©2024 Curry Recipes