Author Topic: Snow  (Read 3786 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Snow
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Anybody else snowed in?

We must have at least 8 inches of snow. This is the worst I can remember in Liverpool, a place that doesn't normally see much snow.

I need to get my wellies on and dig the car out!

Paul

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Took ten minutes before the car doors would stay closed at 18:30 yesterday evening (locks froze in opened position as soon as door opened) and outside temperature was shewn as -8C, which is one degree C lower than the previous record set a year ago at 03:00 in the morning.  There was almost no cloud cover, which I suspect accounts for the intense cold, and this morning I have to drive to the Post Office to buy more Christmas stamps  :(  Fortunately the snow tyres went on three weeks ago  :)  Need to keep a careful eye on the Koi pond in case the pump fails to keep an air-hole open.

PostScript : Drove into Marden (distance of 2 miles) in light snow; bought stamps, shin of beef and pig's liver; drove home again in heavy snow, speed < 20 mph, drive almost impossible to climb despite snow tyres  :(

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:32 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 12:35 PM »
You could always throw an empty pop bottle in the pond, it helps a bit.
Bloody snow, the motorway at Bromsgrove was down to about 20mph and 2 lanes, rapidly turning to one lane at 10:30am ish.
Side roads were pretty rough around there too.
I went out to brum at 8am took 1 hour to get there. The same route back took 2 hours.
And i never saw a single snow plough or grit wagon at anytime. Plenty of signs on the motorway saying "Grit Spreading" but no sign of action. And no sign of previous gritting either.
The buses in Brum were all "Not in Service" at 9am.
Bloody useless this country lol.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Plenty of signs on the motorway saying "Grit Spreading" but no sign of action.
Best way to get the grit spreaders out is to buy a new car with a very expensive paint job; there's nothing they enjoy more than shedding their grit as one of those tries desperately to keep out of their way  ;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 02:15 PM »
-8c...LUXURY! (a la Monty Python's 4 Yorkshiremen sketch :P ) It was -17 here last week. Got snowed in last week but only a couple of inches so far this week ;D As long as I can get to the farm shop next week I'm happy :) We're lucky to have so many farms around our area, the farmers all keep the roads gritted and clear, thank Gawd we don't have to rely on the council!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 04:01 PM »
It was -17 here last week.
-17 ?  -17 ??? It were -32 in us sauna, and that were  before us rolled in snow  ;D  Eee, they don't know they're born, these days : they wouldn' know what cauld felt like if they tried making snowman out o' arctic pack ice !  -17 ?  In our mam's house oven were colder than that, wi t'gas on Mark 7.

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Snow? whats that, 90 degrees here today , though it did get a bit cold last night it dropped to 65 and my wife(Thai) was moaning it was cold, it must be cold as the local motorbike taxi guys are building fires to keep warm.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 05:04 PM »
the local motorbike taxi guys are building fires to keep warm.

I sincerely hope they're keeping their fires and their petrol tanks well apart ... !

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 11:10 PM »
Last winter my mates wife was at the stables where she keeps her horse and they recorded a -30c there.

A couple of weeks ago I stepped out the door and was up to my knees in snow. 8 inches Paul? - pah!!!

;D

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Did you know that you can buy snow chains for most vehicles and they are legal to use in the uk? i didn't until the other day.
They range in price and type but are accessible online.
Also something they call a snow sock, basically a big bag that fits over your tyre and creates a better footprint.

©2024 Curry Recipes