Author Topic: The Indian Restaurant Way  (Read 4123 times)

Offline samson

• Chef
    • View Profile
The Indian Restaurant Way
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:11 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone bought this ebook Cooking Curry - The Indian Restaurant Way
by Henry S Porter off amazon, I'm just thinking of buying the download
but would like to see if anybody has ordered it.

Cheers.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Indian Restaurant Way
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:29 AM »
I see there's one review on Amazon from 'satisfied chef'. Perhaps he should have called himself 'best friend'. The review reads like one of those paid-for advertising features where everything is, of course, perfect.

The chances are that this book is simply another attempt to cash in. I can't know - I haven't read it - but the odds must be against it being very good.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:52 AM »
samson,

not come across it. may well be worth a shot as long as you keep expectations less than high.

there is a vast amount of information on the site but often takes a bit of digging out.

having bought KD1 (KD2 being very different) and a Balti book in the past i've been well pleased that the money was well spent.

just by way of example i feel i know my pizza pretty well but i've just put an Amazon order in for a book myself.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:54 AM »
I'm just thinking of buying the download

Are you one of the few people who already have a Kindle device? If not, the book will cost an effective ?112, based on the amazon price for the cheapest reader. I can't see any indication of printed or .pdf versions, at least not at amazon.co.uk

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Are you one of the few people who already have a Kindle device? If not, the book will cost an effective ?112, based on the amazon price for the cheapest reader. I can't see any indication of printed or .pdf versions, at least not at amazon.co.uk

What's wrong with the free "KindleforPC-installer", George ?

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 01:39 PM »
What's wrong with the free "KindleforPC-installer", George ?
** Phil.

Thank you for pointing out that a free version of Kindle is available for use on PCs. I heard it from you first.  I didn't have any previous knowledge of Kindle and it wasn't flagged up on Amazon, even though I hoped that a free reader might exist. Amazon said: "Start reading Cooking Curry - The Indian Restaurant Way on your Kindle in under a minute. Don?t have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here." So I clicked and up it came with a device costing ?109. They don't make the free reader easy to find.

Why use such a condescending tone to point out that a free version does exist?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Why use such a condescending tone to point out that a free version does exist?

Is that aimed at me or at Amazon, George ?  If at me, then no condescension was intended -- it was a simple factual question (I don't go in for sub-texts).  And the "Download a free Kindle Reading App" appears whenever I search for a book : it reads (for Grimm's Fairy Tales, for example)

"Start reading The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales on your Kindle in under a minute.

Don t have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App. "

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:09 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Don t have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App. "

I see the message: "Start reading Grimm's Fairy Stories (Illustrated Version) on your Kindle in under a minute. Don?t have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here."

It doesn't say anything about a free application on the screens I see.

When I click on the above link (whether for Indian recipes or fairy tales) I go to a page trying to part me with ?109. I eventually found the free application way down a very long page. It's not obvious at all, like you seem to imply. Or perhaps the Amazon screens are personalised to such an extent that I see different screens to you.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 04:18 PM »
I see the message: "Start reading Grimm's Fairy Stories (Illustrated Version) on your Kindle in under a minute. Don?t have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here."

It doesn't say anything about a free application on the screens I see.

When I click on the above link (whether for Indian recipes or fairy tales) I go to a page trying to part me with ?109.
Very odd, George : I'll take a screenshot and append it to this message to show what I see.  The "or download a FREE  Kindle Reading App." text is the final part of the second para. just to the right of (what I assume is) the image of a Kindle.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Has anyone bought this ebook Cooking Curry - The Indian Restaurant Way
by Henry S Porter off amazon, I'm just thinking of buying the download
but would like to see if anybody has ordered it.
Samson, if you do buy a downloadable copy, you might like to see where Calibre can convert it to other formats.  It has worked well on the free Kindle e-books that I have downloaded, but whether it can handle DRM-encoded paid-for e-books remains to be seen.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes