Author Topic: For Kurma Sauce Lovers.  (Read 12340 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: For Kurma Sauce Lovers.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 07:33 PM »

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 09:56 PM »
Cheers Anthony, that looks very promising!

I wonder if this sauce method can be adapted to produce a restaurant 'tikka masala' sauce, which apart from the deep red food colouring is very similar to a korma sauce but with a little more spice and heat. The masala sauce around here is the same everywhere, very coconutty and fairly sweet.? My daughter is addicted to the stuff!

Any ideas from anyone please? :)

when i saw my vindaloo cooked(still typing up) the chef was also doing one of the " sitdowns" a dish which after i said is that a korma he said no chicken pasanda (made using chicken tikka?) he showed me 2 10 litres  tubs on the bottom shelf just behind him when cooking he said they were  (the lighter one)  pre-made korma sauce ( may be the wrong word to use) because it looked more like a paste (looked alot like lard) and the other he said was a masala sauce which was a deep rich reddy?orange colour. he used the korma paste in the pasanda. so maybe they use a combination of the 2. it would  make alot of sense for the restaurants to do this as it is all about producing the food quickly. by the way he gave me his recipe for korma he uses coconut powder! and not coco- block.

well i hope this helps alittle ;)
regards
gary

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 09:03 AM »
Hi Woodpecker21

This red paste stuff has been mentioned before by several people. Is there any chance you could get some more info on this and the korma paste?

Offline Antoneath

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 11:13 PM »
This recipe is a bit vague but try it and you'll agree that this sauce is EXACTLY like the real thing.

Antony

Thank you for this recipe. It looks like it has real potential, given my success with an earlier recipe posted by Ghanna, based on evaporated milk. I look forward to trying your recipe with condensed milk.

Regards
George

Beware though George, condensed milk is probably the sweetest thing on the planet! I tried making Kurma with evaporated milk, but I found that I had to add too much sugar to it. Condensed milk is DEFINATELY the one to use.

I'm not a Kurma lover myself, but my girlfriend absolutely LOVES my Kurma sauce. I'm a Chilli Balti lover, so if anyone knows of a really good recipe for that one, please post for me...my local takeaway won't show me that one.

Cheers all

Antony :0)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 09:21 AM »
I wonder if this sauce method can be adapted to produce a restaurant 'tikka masala' sauce
 recipe

or korma he uses coconut powder! and not coco- block.
regards
gary

Hi Gary
? ? ? ? ? I've posted my chicken tikka demo and they used coconut powder mixed with sugar in that.
I always thought they used the block
Thinking about it, I can't remember seeing coconut block at any of my demos.

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 11:41 AM »
Thanks for the ctm suggestions everyone, and apologies for derailing a korma thread! (I do think the 2 dishes in a restaurant are so similar though).

I'm inclined to think that the ctm sauce could possibly be bought ready made from a supplier due to it being absolutely identical in almost every restaurant, no variations.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 12:38 PM »
I'm inclined to think that the ctm sauce could possibly be bought ready made from a supplier due to it being absolutely identical in almost every restaurant, no variations.

I agree that they are all very similar but I bet it's because they all use the same basic recipe, rather than by using a bought-in sauce. I've seen them make chicken korma from a bit of this and a bit of that, including base sauce and cream, added to the frying pan in take-aways with open plan kitchens.

Regards
George

Offline melanie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 02:35 PM »
I've been a regular reader of this site and i'm always experimenting with bits and bobs on here, but I have to say that I was so impressed with this recipe for Korma that I can't stop making it.It's so authentic.
 I have been using chicken but I managed to get hold of some raw prawns today so guess what?, it's prawn korma tonight for me and the family!!! each time though I have used the garam masala I had made up and it did have hot chilli in it but I think its quite nice being hot and sweet.So cheers for that I,m not sure the family would agree but at least the prawns will be a pleasant change for them.Mel.

Offline melanie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 02:40 PM »
I forgot to say I added the garam masala ( a tsp) when I fried up my base sauce.
mel

Offline steve e

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 01:46 PM »
Hi All,
This an interesting breakthrough in my opion,having read the korma recipe I experimented
using the following criteria
1 chicken korma sauce and masala sauce are very similar in taste so
2 dissolved one inch block of creamed coconut in hot water added 1 teaspoon of sugar
3 added 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
4 tiny amount red food colouring and mixed all thoroughly into a red paste(so similar in looks to the bir one I had observed).
5 oil in pan fried garlic puree until light brown
6 Added red paste fried for 5 mins
7 Added base sauce to amount desired simmered 10 mins
8 finished off with dribble of condensed milk

Closest I have got ctm

Steve e

©2024 Curry Recipes