Author Topic: For Kurma Sauce Lovers.  (Read 12339 times)

Offline Antoneath

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
For Kurma Sauce Lovers.
« on: October 10, 2005, 12:23 AM »
This recipe is a bit vague but try it and you'll agree that this sauce is EXACTLY like the real thing.

This is how I make a Kurma sauce - compliments of my local takeaway. First make up your base sauce (plenty on this site) then heat (fry) 2 or 3 ladels of this sauce with a little oil in a wok or similar. I then add desicated coconut or sweetened coconut (to desired amount) with a teaspoon (5ml) of cinammon and 4-5 cardamom pods. Let it heat up until almost bubbling, then add the all important 'secret' sweet ingredient which is sweetened condensed milk to the desired sweetness. Then when that has heated through for a few minutes, add the cream (I use single) then turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 - 15 mins. Done. Don't forget to add a little water if it gets a liitle dry.

Please do try it. I think you'll find this sauce tastes as good as ANY takeaway.

Cheers for a great site

Antony :0)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 12:27 AM by Antoneath »

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: For Kurma Sauce Lovers.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 08:02 AM »
Thanks Antoneath, I'll give that a go soon

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 08:26 AM »
hi guys/ girls
 (woodpecker in disguise) thought i would throw something else into the mix, i also have a recipe for chicken korma from that dam Rajver again ;) again i will post as soon as i have written it up.feeling a bit low got a cold( feeling like a curry with lots of green chillies :))

will post soon
gary

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:42 AM »
This recipe is a bit vague but try it and you'll agree that this sauce is EXACTLY like the real thing.

Antony

Thank you for this recipe. It looks like it has real potential, given my success with an earlier recipe posted by Ghanna, based on evaporated milk. I look forward to trying your recipe with condensed milk.

Regards
George

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 11:06 AM »
Cheers Anthony, that looks very promising!

I wonder if this sauce method can be adapted to produce a restaurant 'tikka masala' sauce, which apart from the deep red food colouring is very similar to a korma sauce but with a little more spice and heat. The masala sauce around here is the same everywhere, very coconutty and fairly sweet.  My daughter is addicted to the stuff!

Any ideas from anyone please? :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 11:22 AM »
Nessa

There are several specific recipes at this forum for CTM. It's a different recipe to korma but, of course, all these BIR curries have the common element of base sauce. Some people say it's easier to match CTM and korma to the restaurant taste, than it is with madras and other dishes. That's lucky, because they're my favourites!

Regards
George

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 11:43 AM »
Cheers George, I'll have a look around again.  I'm usually quite dismissive of CTM recipes as I've never found one that's anything like the restaurant sauce in any way. Please do share if you've tried one that's close!
:)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Ive just had a look round and unless Ive missed it I can't see a CTM recipe under the BIR recipes section that uses a base sauce.

I make it occasionally like this,

Heat oil, add tsp of g&g puree & mix in, add a tsp of tom pure & mix in, add a heaped tsp of spice mix and a level tsp of tandoori masala, you can add chili powder here to taste but hardly any if you want it to be BIR style.? Fry the spices for a minute or 2 then add a ladle of gravy\base sauce mix in, add another 2 ladles of gravy stirring in one at a time.? Add your precooked chicken tikka, desert spoon of sugar, and a chunk of creamed coconut about 2"x 1" or more if you like it nutty mix this all in.? After a couple of mins take of the heat and gradually stir in some single cream carefull not to curdle it.? Then add a couple of drops of red food coloring for that radioactive BIR appearance stir in and wack back on the heat for a couple of mins, serve and garnish with some fresh coriander?

This one always goes down a storm when I make it, I will type up a proper recipe with quantities when I get home and post to the recipe group? ;)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 12:08 PM by Curry King »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 02:37 PM »
Sorry, if there are fewer CTM recipes here than I expected or recalled. I made a note of one approach which Steve E had closely observed at a take-away. This included: "then 2 ladles of very thin greenish yellow gravy that's simmering on the cooker". I assume that's base sauce, or a version of it for CTM, perhaps. Re-finding things on this site is an inevitable challenge, as the volume of contributions goes up and up. For example, here we are discussing CTM - and why not - in the middle of a thread entitled "Kurma Sauce". In six months time we will have forgotten!

Here'a another recipe/thread on CTM, under CK's index. It includes "about 1/2 cup Curry Base Sauce".
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=204.0

Regards
George
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 02:46 PM by George »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 04:37 PM »
Oops didn't spot that the base in that one, at a glance I thought it was authentic? :-[

Its surprising though that we don't have more recipes for a BIR CTM on here?? I will try and get mine up tonight.

Re-finding things on this site is an inevitable challenge, as the volume of contributions goes up and up. For example, here we are discussing CTM - and why not - in the middle of a thread entitled "Kurma Sauce". In six months time we will have forgotten!

This is a problem but as long as any recipes that come out of any given thread are posted to the relevant recipe group, as well, they should be indexed and find"able"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 04:40 PM by Curry King »

©2024 Curry Recipes