Author Topic: CA's Vindaloo Paste  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Vindaloo Paste
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:54 AM »
For those of you wishing to add a "little bit of a kick!" to your hotter curries (e.g. madras, vindaloo, ceylon, jalfrezi, etc), I offer you this "Vindaloo Paste".  You can make it as hot as you like by adding or subtracting the chillies and chilli powder:

Ingredients:

9 tbsp coriander seeds
4 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp mustard seeds
15 dried red chillies (or more to taste)
1 tbsp chilli powder (or more to taste)
5 curry leaves
1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
1 tbsp turmeric powder
0.5tsp salt
2 tbsp fresh ginger (pureed)
2 tbsp fresh garlic (pureed)
200ml vinegar (any will do)
250 vegetable oil

Method:

• Dry roast the whole spices (including chillies and curry leaves), separately or individually, for a couple of minutes (low to medium heat), until vapour (not smoke) is given off
  • Allow to cool and grind the whole spices in a spice mill (sieve the husks and regrind them or dispose of them)
  • Add the ground spices to the ground whole spices
  • Add the vinegar to the spice mixture and stir into a paste
  • Heat the oil in a suitable pan (using medium heat)
  • Add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously
  • Add the spice paste
  • Cook for about 10 minutes (stirring continuously and avoiding burning) until the oil begins to separate
  • Allow to cool
  • Tranfer the cooked paste to a sterilised jar and cover with hot oil
  • Store in fridge and use within a month or so

Simply add a "dollop" (i.e. a tsp or tbsp or so) to your favourite hot curry (e.g. madras, vindaloo or phal) to add both depth of flavour and piquancy.  I add it with the other spices but, since it's already cooked, you can add it later if you wish.  You can also add a dollop or two to your curry base to perk it up to be more suitable for hotter curries.

I trust you will enjoy it; please let me know how you find it!  8)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:29 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Vindaloo Paste
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:44 AM »
looks good CA, edible rocket fuel!!!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:48 PM »
looks good CA thanks, could it be used as poppadom dip to?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:39 PM »
For those of you wishing to add a "little bit of a kick!" to your hotter curries (e.g. madras, vindaloo, ceylon, jalfrezi, etc), I offer you this "Vindaloo Paste".  You can make it as hot as you like by adding or subtracting the chillies and chilli powder:

Ingredients:

9 tbsp coriander seeds
4 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp mustard seeds
15 dried red chillies (or more to taste)
1 tbsp chilli powder (or more to taste)
5 curry leaves
1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
1 tbsp turmeric powder
0.5tsp salt
2 tbsp fresh ginger (pureed)
2 tbsp fresh garlic (pureed)
200ml vinegar (any will do)
250 vegetable oil

Method:

• Dry roast the whole spices (including chillies and curry leaves), separately or individually, for a couple of minutes (low to medium heat), until vapour (not smoke) is given off
  • Allow to cool and grind the whole spices in a spice mill (sieve the husks and regrind them or dispose of them)
  • Add the ground spices to the ground whole spices
  • Add the vinegar to the spice mixture and stir into a paste
  • Heat the oil in a suitable pan (using medium heat)
  • Add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously
  • Add the spice paste
  • Cook for about 10 minutes (stirring continuously and avoiding burning) until the oil begins to separate
  • Allow to cool
  • Tranfer the cooked paste to a sterilised jar and cover with hot oil
  • Store in fridge and use within a month or so

Simply add a "dollop" (i.e. a tsp or tbsp or so) to your favourite hot curry (e.g. madras, vindaloo or phal) to add both depth of flavour and piquancy.  I add it with the other spices but, since it's already cooked, you can add it later if you wish.  You can also add a dollop or two to your curry base to perk it up to be more suitable for hotter curries.

I trust you will enjoy it; please let me know how you find it!  8)

Great Job CA!!!! :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:20 AM »
could it be used as poppadom dip to?

That really depends on whether or not you like curry paste on your poppadoms UB?  It would be similar to using Patak paste (though not quite as acidic).  It doesn't taste too bad, by itself, to be honest.  But it's a curry paste rather than a dip.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:26 AM »
Hi CA,

If I was to make your vindaloo, would I add this instead of the chilli powder or along side it?

How did you come about creating this paste, and how does it compare, in your opinion, to "off the shelf" vindaloo pastes'

Thanks,

Ray :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 05:15 AM »
Hi Ray,

If I was to make your vindaloo, would I add this instead of the chilli powder or along side it?

I generally use it in addition to the chilli powder (and other spices), but you can also use it instead of, if you like.

How did you come about creating this paste

I've been trying to get decent "heat", into hot curries, for some while (years).  I've tried many things, including fresh chillies, chilli pastes, etc, etc. 

Still, the question for me is, "how do BIRs get the heat (without the underlying harshness of chilli powder or flavour of fresh chillies) into their really hot curries (e.g. phals)?

how does it compare, in your opinion, to "off the shelf" vindaloo pastes'

This is basically a hot masala/curry powder/spice mix/mix powder (call it what you will) that has been perked up with chillies and cooked into a paste. 

It is therefore pretty much the same as a commercial vindaloo paste.  However, it is far less acidic, I feel, because it doesn't have all the crappy preservatives, stabilisers, antioxidants, etc, in it that commercial pastes do.  You could, if you're that way inclined, use it as a dip with poppadoms  :P    I doubt you'd be wanting to do that, with a commercial vindaloo paste, though?

I've also tried things like the Undercover Curry "Vindaloo Sauce"and Pat Chapman's "Hot Curry Paste".  These are similar, but this is a masala blend based on (but modified from) one of Mridula Baljekar's "curry powder" recipes.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Hi CA,

I totally agree, to get a good amount of heat into a curry is difficult unless your happy with the taste of fresh chilli or chilli powder.

I am a lover of the taste of fresh chillies and is why I do add them to my Madras but I really wouldn't mind giving this paste a go.

What kind of shelf life do you expect this paste to have CA?

Ray :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Hi CA

I am sure the answer is almost certainly yes, however have you ever tried these: http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/chilli-flakes-crushed-dried-extra-hot-red-chillies-1850-p.asp

Had quite successful results with them myself. They do not seem to impart any kind of 'Nagary' taste into the dish like some hot chilli types can which I personally detest and would hope not to encounter unless specifically ordering a Naga type dish.

They do however if added at the frying stage seem to become soft enough to almost dissolve into the dish and produce a wave of instantaneous heat when adding say 1 x tsp per portion in addition to hot red chilli powder.

Cheers

Offline PhilUK

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:52 PM »
How about making a chilli paste- using fresh chillies of your choice- much the same as the onion/ garlic paste.
personally, I'm a big fan of fresh chillies in curries- my reasoning being that if its too hot you leave the chillies on the side of the plate, but if its too hot from a chilli powder point of view you are up the creek.
a home made chilli paste could be added at the end of the cooking process, and also help to avoid the problem when cooking for 4 people of achieving the desired head for each victim oops guest.
Phil
PS I like the taste of fresh chillies which helps I guess

©2024 Curry Recipes