Author Topic: Marinading leftover turkey  (Read 9923 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Marinading leftover turkey
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Nigel Slater (TV chef) marinaded left over turkey with soy sauce, honey, garlic and a few other things in a recent programme

Perky Turkey lol http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/perky_turkey_62741 Sounds quite delicious though.

Heres a Rick Stein Sri Lankan Curry that also sounds pretty good http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/srilankanturkeycurry_92946

Crucially, both recipes do not over cook the already cooked turkey but also that the turkey is not left to marinate before the cooking process either.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:27 PM by Axe »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Why not use it for a starter, like Chicken (Turkey) Chat for example?

Cooked meat not in a heavy sauce like a main, but as a starter in a kinda sauce of description with salad. It will only need a little warming as it is already cooked but diced and thrown in would make an excellent starter...... :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 05:58 PM »
My sincere thanks to all for their helpful comments and suggestions.  One leg has been reserved for one or more of turkey shami kebab (with added egg as binder, because cooked turkey won't bind, so it will be a sort of inside-out reshmi kebab !), turkey & leek pie, and turkey chat.  The other leg is now deboned and is currently marinading in lemon juice, yoghurt, ginger, garlic, fresh red chilli, ground kala jeera, Bassar curry masala, salt and a smidgen of tandoori red.  The marinade is pretty strong, but I think that the turkey is going to be pretty resistant to taking up flavour, so it may work OK out in the end.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 01:36 PM »
so it will be a sort of inside-out reshmi kebab !)

:D I like your way of thinking Phil. :D

Looking forward to the results. :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Result 1 : Fail.  This was pre-roasted turkey leg, boned and broken into largish pieces, marinaded in lemon juice, yoghurt and spices, then gently cooked in recycled oil and finished off in a recycled curry sauce.  Not "filthy", "nasty", or "dirty" (as per Solarplace's initial reactions) but quite possibly "wrong" (another of SP's terms).  I am afraid the foxes are going to be feasting on turkey curry tonight  :(

** Phil.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Result 1 : Fail.  This was pre-roasted turkey leg, boned and broken into largish pieces, marinaded in lemon juice, yoghurt and spices, then gently cooked in recycled oil and finished off in a recycled curry sauce.  Not "filthy", "nasty", or "dirty" (as per Solarplace's initial reactions) but quite possibly "wrong" (another of SP's terms).  I am afraid the foxes are going to be feasting on turkey curry tonight  :(

** Phil.

Hi Phil

That is actually a little bit of a shame, I hoped you would produce the first actually nice Turkey curry the world has ever known.

At least the Turkey did not perish with one of its little legs just being cast aside, you did try to make use of it.

Cheers

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 09:22 AM »
That is actually a little bit of a shame, I hoped you would produce the first actually nice Turkey curry the world has ever known.

At least the Turkey did not perish with one of its little legs just being cast aside, you did try to make use of it.

Yes, but I still have 50% of it marinading and another whole leg to eat !

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17 AM »
I seem to recall I made a passable turkey vindaloo ages ago, I did a 'sprouts diabolo' too. I was restricted to a maximum of 30 feet from a toilet for about two days...

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Phil, perhaps you could rinse off the marinade and use it for the shami kebab?

Did you notice if the marinade actually had any effect on the meat?

What about trying to make a pasty with some of the left over meat, perhaps even a spiced version with cumim, garlic, methi, etc

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Phil, perhaps you could rinse off the marinade and use it for the shami kebab?
Yes, I am considering that, but I just wonder if it is going to work ...

Did you notice if the marinade actually had any effect on the meat?
Very definitely : and before I had decided that I really didn't want to persevere with eating the curry, I had already decided there was too much lemon in the marinade.

What about trying to make a pasty with some of the left over meat, perhaps even a spiced version with cumim, garlic, methi, etc
I am so put off my my first attempt that I am reasonably confident that the remaining leg will be eaten unspiced; perhaps just as a sandwich (or ten) if all else fails !
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes