Author Topic: curry base  (Read 21981 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: curry base
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Guy's,

Am I correct in thinking that Ham's list of do's and dont's, refer to his base, and not main dishes?

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that Ham's list of do's and dont's, refer to his base, and not main dishes?
That would make sense, except for the following :

• DO NOT USE GREEN PEPPER (except for bhoona dishe's).

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Thanks Phil,

Well, I'm going to give this a go, as we speak!

I'll be using my own base though (which I think is quite similar in some respects) and I have just nipped out and picked up a box of Mangal Chicken Masala.  The smell of this stuff is awesome BTW.

I'll be having a go at Ham's madras (sauce only) and I'll be using a garlic and chilli oil that my wife got from Aldi today (which does have a familiar BIR smell to it)

Update to follow soon!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 07:13 PM »
Ok Guy's

First attempt, nice flavour but way way too salty.  I'm going to give it another try, omit the salt and add 0.5 garlic paste and 0.5 ginger paste at the start.

I'm also going to give it a good squirt of lemon dressing towards the end (sorry SS ;))

Report to follow

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Ok,

2nd attempt, much much better.  I replaced the 1 tsp of salt with 0.5 tsp of sugar, and I did add 0.5 each of garlic and ginger paste at the start.  I also gave it a good squirt of lemon dressing (1 tbsp approx) toward the end.  A vast improvement but by no means a breakthrough.  I will add some precooked chicken to it and a pinch of salt, and have it for my supper tonight.

Makes a very nice curry but I wouldn't say that it's any better than my own!

Of course, the real test will be to make it all to The Ham's spec recipe, which will no doubt let us taste what he/she intends us to.

The main thing I got out of this little experiment was the use of the Mangal Chicken Masala.  59p for 100g, very comparable to making your own curry masala, if you buy your ground spices in 100ml quantities.

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 08:03 PM »
It doesn't really bother me the fact than he posted a link to his website. It hardly poses a threat to the existence of cr0.

What I find strange is some of the contradictions. For example "don't add fresh coriander early in the cooking stage" yet the base sauce recipe contains fresh coriander which is surely early in the cooking stage.

Also on one page he states that coriander powder should never be used yet it is listed in his own spice mix elsewhere.

I don't get his long list of no-nos:

What is wrong with frying garlic/ginger/onions? - surely this is a standard Indian/Asian cooking technique. I can't imagine not doing these things.

Finally the microscope - would it really be possible to identify exactly the ingredients using one of these?

Quite funny really but I would rather he discussed some of these points rather than him getting aggressively chased off cr0.

Paul
Hi paul, im afraid cory ander split his guts to get the recipe on here without reading into things and just assumes that its an instant curry!,  ok regards the fresh coriander, its not in the base sauce its part of the list of ingrediants, it only goes in at the end of cooking the final dish, the powdered coriander i forgot to mention in the spice mix was from a book which is often listed in most of them regarding these type of recipes, as regards the microscope as cory ander took the micky, yes its very true you can see absolutley everything, hope that helps, forgot to mention that these currys are asian casseroles like we would cook stew, as i said dont not fry what ive stated, in the base or final dish, it starts tasting sour, trust me! the recipe from my website i do not mind being posted on here or anything else for that matter, but i would say read all before you begin cooking, thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:38 PM by the ham »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 11:45 PM »
Methinks "the ham" is "madrasandy" ;D

Not a problem with the website though...it's a bit misleading though, heading the page with "Indian Restaurant Curry Base Sauce" then saying to ignore any recipes from actual restraurants as they're not very good.....if it's NOT an Indian restaurant curry base, then it can't be called such surely?

The site is just his take on a curry base that he wants to share with the world.....something that any one of us could do.....if we had a microscope and the time lol

It would be interesting if he could share with us some of the actual restaurant recipes he's been given and passed over/discounted. Give him a go, folks......I think this could be interesting ;)

Taken from "the ham"'s website

it was only a few year's ago that i had managed to get into some local takeaway kitchen's and get some recipe's, wow ive got one at last! yes i went home thrilled to bit's, i set about cooking what i had been told only to end up with something that did'nt resemble a curry dish, on my travel's around different takeaways i was alway's asking for recipe's, yes they gave them to me but again nothing like what they were cooking, so all these budding curry chef's who say that there local takeaway's gave them a recipe to cook and it was brilliant do yourself a favour do not even bother to cook it

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 12:47 AM »
Domi get a life woman, i do not have to go into every detail about what takeaways or so(as you say they are restaurants then not restaurants) ive been in, or would your care to join me one night for proof of the pudding, if so your welcome to join me in wolverhampton and i'll take you to a few place's i know( although better not you may drink more than me), the trouble is there to much yap rather than share and try. read about me and get the story right, your like cory ander, to much ahead of yourselves and pig headed. ive came on here and tryed most recipes but never criticised anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!  but theres nothing like stuffing a good bird! at christmas i say, thanks for the nice words about my website. any emails to stevejet66@aol.com

To add to this thread who's madrasandy????????
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:16 PM by the ham »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 12:57 AM »
Methinks "the ham" is "madrasandy" ;D

who's madrasandy domi?

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 03:07 AM »
What's up with everyone recently. It's as if there's been a mass taking of PCP or something?

©2024 Curry Recipes