Author Topic: curry base  (Read 22139 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: curry base
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 12:22 PM »
Hi The Ham, where abouts in Wolverhampton do you go for your curries ?
From Tipton myself (so not far)  been a regular curry eater in Wolverhampton for many, many years plus ALL surrounding areas (been about a bit :P).
Would be interesting to know which BIR gave you the inspiration for the base and recipes or was it a combination of a few, and were you sober when you tried them  ;D

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 01:24 PM »
Well one was the dilshad w-ton, raj tandoori takeaway linthouse lane wednesfield, rangamati restaurant wednesfield, madina takeaway wednesfield(now closed down) rose of bengal bloxwich, jawel restaurant willenhall, kasmati again bloxwich( now closed down) shabab balti house cannock, p.s no not drunk when i cooked them. truth is they hardly want you to know anything, basically they will tell you anything to stop you pestering them!
hope that helps.

mind you i had to laugh at myself with the microscope, didnt think ide ever bring myself to doing something like that, but as sure to god its amazing what you can see lol

by the way for everyones interest i have linked this website to my website.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:35 PM by the ham »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 01:38 PM »
Hi Ham,

Don't know if you noticed, but further up the thread, I had a go at your method last night.

Got to say, the Mangal Curry Masala smells very good, and is very similar to my own spice blend http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4706.0 in both smell and appearance.

Also, the ingredients to your base are similar to mine, except for the cardamoms, which will definitely alter the flavour somewhat http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4596.0

My method is very different however, that being that I do fry off the garlic, ginger and onions for a good 10mins at the start of my base.

I thought that in my first attempt at your Madras, the level of salt was way too much, however, on my second attempt, I only added a pinch of salt, plus half a tsp of sugar.  For me, this took me very very close.  I also added a good squirt of lemon dressing in at the end, which again, is down to my own personal preference.

I could definitely work with this recipe, I just need to give it a go to the absolute spec.

Thanks,

Ray :)

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Hi razor, yes you will find we all have slightly different salt levels we like. but do not fry the onion garlic and ginger, do not add anything else other that the recipe states, when the base is cooked let it stand for a few hours, remember that when we cook a stew we do not fry the carrots, onion or any of the veg for that matter we let it stew for flavour, start from scratch with this recipe im sure you will not be dissapointed.
steve m, the ham

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 01:53 PM »
By the way i owe domi an apologie, sorry dear ;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 02:33 PM »
lol I wasn't having a go at you, Ham...When I mentioned the recipes you say you've been handed by Indian restaurants takeaways, I really was interested in those recipes ;D Believe me, anyone who says they have been lucky enough to get into a takeaway kitchen AND get recipes from establishments is in for a probing. ;)

Some of the restaurant recipes we've had on here have been pretty good (i.e. Dipuraja's and Axe's Indian Garden recipes, not forgetting the Ashoka recipes from Martin) and what didn't work for you may well work for someone else :P I understand your being defensive given your earlier treatment by CA but not all members are so aggressive ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 02:45 PM by Domi »

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 02:44 PM »
yes sorry domi, cory doesnt read into things im afraid, bull at a gate so to speak, yeah have tryed a few recipes on here as i say,some were good, i know the rangamati restaurant where i live dishes up a real naff dish, oh boy its horrible but yes we all have different tastes as there are as many recipes, the recipe i did was to emulate the my local takeaway curry down the road, but there does seem to be that particular taste that folk are after and this was the one i got, anyway have a bash at it see what you think
but follow it exactly dont add anyting else.
steve m  ;D

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 09:30 PM »
I don't want to stir things up again but, there's two ways to start a stew.
The fry start, ie, brown the meat, remove it, using the same pan fry the veggies then add water/stock.
Or the stew/boil method, where you throw everything in together, stock included and simmer for hours.
Either ways a winner, its just another choice we have as to which way we begin.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Hi all,

I am due to do another base today so thought i will give this a try using hams methods. 
I have been using Rays base for a while now which has produced excellent results in every recipe i have tryed from this forum.

I will use Razors base as a barometer and will judge Hams base on the finished quality of my dish.

for impartiality i wont inform mrs moony of the base change and i will see if she notices a difference good or bad.

regards

Alan ;D

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Nice one al, great idea ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes