Author Topic: Prawn Madras & Chicken Balti demo  (Read 40186 times)

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Prawn Madras & Chicken Balti demo
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Hi Pete.

That KD Base sauce  - just when I think I've finally dismissed it it always jumps back up and bites me!

Can I ask how you adapted the base sauce to get enough oil floating on the top to re-use for the dish?  Did you add more oil when frying the tomatoes/turmeric/paprika puree, or add more oil once the two stages were combined and before simmering? Did you stick to the same quantities of everything else from the book's recipe?

Thanks in advance Pete
Ian
--

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Anyone eles tried ths yet?

I managed to coax a friend into letting me cook in their house so I wouldn't stink mine up while it's being sold? ?8)

I tried the prawn vindaloo exactly as described, except I didn't have the tomato paste so just used ordinary puree and I also used chicken instead. Oh, and I added a little bit of carrot and green pepper to the base, but not much. Well what can I say, it didn't do it for me? ?:-\

It did have a bit of the 'taste' but only as a background not full in your face like bought curries, and most disappointingly it didn't have the 'smell' at all.

I mean this in the nicest possible way Pete, but I hope your effort was a one off fluke because I'm never going to crack this otherwise, it just doesn't seem to work for me.

Offline Antoneath

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2005, 08:24 PM »
Hi Pete.

Is this Kris Dhillon curry base called 'The Curry Secret'?

Cheers mate.

Antony :0)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2005, 10:03 PM »
Hi Pete.
Is this Kris Dhillon curry base called 'The Curry Secret'?
Antony :0)

Hi Antony,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Yes that's the one
I tried the prawn vindaloo exactly as described, except I didn't have the tomato paste so just used ordinary puree and I also used chicken instead. Oh, and I added a little bit of carrot and green pepper to the base, but not much. Well what can I say, it didn't do it for me? ?:-\
It did have a bit of the 'taste' but only as a background not full in your face like bought curries, and most disappointingly it didn't have the 'smell' at all.
I mean this in the nicest possible way Pete, but I hope your effort was a one off fluke because I'm never going to crack this otherwise, it just doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm really sorry it didn't work out
I don't understand
I am starting another KD base tonight with a view to cook the curry tomorrow.
Maybe it's down to the tomato puree
Maybe it was a fluke
I will post tomorrow my result
Did you add more oil when frying the tomatoes/turmeric/paprika puree, or add more oil once the two stages were combined and before simmering? Did you stick to the same quantities of everything else from the book's recipe?
Ian
Hi Ian
? ? ? ? Yes I added the oil with the tomatoes and I kept to all other quantities
Another thing I don't quite agree with is the cooking it in 2 parts, like curry queen said on the other forum whats the point?? I can't see a restaurant messing about with it like that and it would probably help keep the smell down!

I don't know
Bruce Edwards does the curry gravy in two stages and I think this new Curry Book is showing a the base done in the same way too.
I must admit, after two disapointing reports,I'm starting to get a sinking feeling.
I reckon we've all got to get get together somehow
We should all bring our best cooking
How else are we ever going to know we are aiming for the same thing?
Maybe we could meet for a lunchtime curry somewhere?

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2005, 03:47 AM »
Hi Pete -

Tend to agree with other forum members...have tried KD's base on numerous occasions...tried all of the permutations & combinations...but still tend to fall short of " the taste ". This weekend I shall attempt to combine KD's style with some more traditional recipes and see if that improves the taste in the final outcome...if not pour another pint or 2-3-4 !

CC

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2005, 02:34 PM »
As cr0 keeps going down, the converstion is getting a little disjointed.
Anyhow, I made the Kris Dhillon base again
I wanted to tweak it a little, so I added 1 carrot and half a green pepper.
To my surprise, I found this made it less like I wanted.
This flavour is very easily hidden
So I will go back to the original recipe and try adding something else.
Dried fenugreek probably.
Anyhow I made the Prawn Madras again, twice.
The second time was so much better than the first
I still have some of the original bought curry and the second one I cooked is a very close match.
I think most of the "magic" happens when you have the spices,tomato puree & curry gravy cooking together for five minutes.
Curry Queen's bengal cuisine demo, is such a similar recipe, that I am sure this is the right way to do this.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=167.0

I think the problem we have all had is getting the "right" base, then not drowning out the flavour with other spices.
I don't think KD's base is exactly right but it's very close.
There is a little something missing and I shall not rest until I find it.
There are a lot of possibilities to try adding
I know some restaurants also put in
Chicken stock
chick peas
fenugreek
coriander
spice mixes
Whatever it is, I am sure it is possible to do at home.
Here's a picture of KD's sauce (with extra oil,carrot & green pepper) compared to a restaurant curry gravy sample
The red arrow is KD
It looks the same doesn't it?
The difference you can taste at this point, is the same difference you can taste in your finished curry
Sorry folks, It says I can't post pictures at the moment!
Something on this site is not writable?!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 02:36 PM by pete »

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Pete i believe in KD base.. also youll notice that when you add to the base and blend down it changes the consistency away from the BIR, although if you add water to the base it gets closer again.
Its odd i know, but i really believe KD?s base is the base to use, just something that needs to be added
i know that black pepper is used and black pepper can also have an effect of reducing some spices
could be an anwser why restaurant curries taste simular?

To those who haven?t tried KD base looks here -> http://www.aisj.co.il/CurryClub.htm
and try reducing the sauce in the final stages to a thick creamy texture
I believe this is one of the answers.
I think restaurants can reduce sauces alot quicker than we can
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 03:44 PM by Ashes_Saag »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Im making a batch of KD at the mo and on stage 1 the base has gone almots luminous green , is this normal??

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2005, 05:22 PM »
Im making a batch of KD at the mo and on stage 1 the base has gone almots luminous green , is this normal??
This will be the green garlic problem again
Don't worry it's not poisoness
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=308.0

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2005, 05:40 PM »
Yeah thats normal, bright green, looks almost radio active  :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes