Author Topic: Curryheads "Madras 2011"  (Read 125791 times)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Curryheads "Madras 2011"
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Aims and goals :

1) A group effort to create an improved base sauce, and madras recipe to go with it. 

2) The base sauce will be loosely defined from the start, but subject to iterative changes over the year. The goal is to create a base which is well suited to bir style madras, and tested with a madras recipe. Not a general purpose base. 

3) the madras recipe (spicing and technique) will also be developed over the year. BIR techniques and style apply

4) One aim of the project is to see if its possible for cr0 to work as a group , rather than all working as individuals. And to see if this group approach delivers more than would be expected, if you worked alone for a year.

5) The final aim is to have some fun , and see where it leads ! if thats not asking too much ? !  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Curryheads "Madras 2011"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Generally in agreement, with one suggestion as noted :

Aims and goals :

1) A group effort to create an improved base sauce, and madras recipe to go with it. 

It may be that the perfect base already exists and is documented somewhere on this forum, so I would prefer that (1) read : "... to identify or create the ideal base sauce for use with Madras-style dishes ...".

** Phil.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:28 PM »
hi, yes i too had considered that. in the end, its down to who is taking part, if we go down road of electing an existing base, or creating a new one. I expect it will be clearer when we know who is going to be involved. I am going to post a possible contender for a base, but will keep an open mind on this one. whats the general concensus on the taz base ?  i still have not tried that one.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:58 AM »
I think most were in agreement that the Taz base was the one to use?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:56 PM »
I think most were in agreement that the Taz base was the one to use?
Taz's base is fine by me; I see that it already includes oil, as had recently been discussed here, and is a simple straightforward base, so I am happy to go with it.

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 01:13 PM »
I will happily do the Taz base too.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 04:56 PM »
I'm already doing the Taz base but, to get the best from it, would we follow the reduction method, as Mick suggest's?

Ray :)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:44 PM »
I'm already doing the Taz base but, to get the best from it, would we follow the reduction method, as Mick suggest's?

Hi all,
This base as it stands should be used with Taz's method but as some are not keen on the method then I would certainly reduce the oil content or as has been stated before...use the base as it is and start your curry with more oil to fry your garlic/ginger etc then the final curry will have too much oil, although this can be removed once cooking has finished.
Mick

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Hi Mick,

Hi all,
This base as it stands should be used with Taz's method

This is my thinking too, as I've now done 9 curries using this base and method, and I think that it's superb.

I would hate for us to use a base, specifically design with the reduction method in mind, and then use a completely different method, which will no doubt, distort the quality of the dish?

I've always been a, fry garlic and ginger paste in oil, followed by spice mix, then tom puree, then base, cook, but this reduction method works perfectly with this base.

So, before we decide on which base to use, I think it prudent to decide which method we will follow first!

Just my thought's ::)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Ray u r defo right in what u r saying , this base is really good for results , I would happily partake in a group test with you guys , the more the better I say

©2024 Curry Recipes