Author Topic: Curryheads "Madras 2011"  (Read 127073 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Curryheads "Madras 2011"
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 12:26 PM »
So I guess Pauls suggestion of 1.5 tbs of whole spice should roughly equate to 1 tbs of ground?
Well, the "scraping losses" are more-or-less constant, so I would expect to get proportionally more by grinding 1.5 tbsp whole spice than by grinding 1.5 tsp; even so, as an approximation, that ratio sounds close enough to me. 

Later : experiment complete.  I used real measuring spoons, and used one tablespoon plus one teaspoon plus one half teaspoon and ground until no further improvement in fineness could be discerned.  Putting the resulting ground coriander back into the measures initially suggested that the conversion efficiency would be 100%, but this was because of the low density of fresh ground coriander.  On packing the ground coriander into the measures, I achieved one tablespoon plus one half teaspoon.

Also : But what a difference in aroma, compared to pre-packed ground coriander.  The aromatic oils released during the grinding were so obvious, and the coriander smelled ten times better than the pre-packaged stuff.  I now wonder whether, for "special" curries, I should fresh-grind the cumin and fenugreek ...

And one final comment : the husks fragments were still obvious, and shewed no signs of being willing to grind into dust.  I wonder whether commercial ground coriander is sieved ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:44 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Hi All

Please can we go with suggestion 'A' use the whole spices as per the recipe spec to start with?

What's the worst that's going to happen? the odd bit of husk? just blend for longer and save up for a better one  ;D

With all the conversions and fishing out of husks and densities etc, there is too much room for everyone to basically be making something quite different from each other.

Of-course in the future we can revisit this, but surely we should start out at the same place?

Cheers

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Of-course in the future we can revisit this, but surely we should start out at the same place?
Completely agree; I just thought we were discussing which place that was  :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Hi SP,

I'm fine to go with the recipe as spec first off.  I will give it a wizz with my hand blender this time.

So, for the Madras, do we need to pick ten of the "most popular" and set up a poll?  or, should we wait for Achmal to offer a suggestion, afterall, it is his/Taz's base?

Ray

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Hi Phil

Didn't mean to put any kind of implied abrupt stop to the discussions, just my humble opinion and suggestion at this point :)

Hi Ray

Would probably be polite to wait and see if Achmal has a suggestion or two and then set up a poll with those suggestions on it too?

CHeers

SP

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 01:35 PM »
Hi SP,

Would probably be polite to wait and see if Achmal has a suggestion or two and then set up a poll with those suggestions on it too?

Works for me :D

Phil,

Very nearly missed you edited post with your grinding experiment (the trouble with editing I guess)

Quite interesting, so, If I understand this right, you managed to get, approx, 4 tsp of ground coriander from 4.5 tsp of whole? 

Did you try the experiment with the cumin too.  I'm thinking that that would be slightly closer to the quantity of whole cumin seeds.

Ray :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 01:46 PM »
I'm also happy for option a) using the whole seeds exactly as per the Taz spec.

I'm looking forward to trying out my new 200 quid stick blender  :)

I've already tried it both ways and found the whole seeds had a fresher nuttier taste when cooked then blended.

I don't think Taz gave Mick a madras recipe but I'm sure he'll be along to comment himself.

Cheers,

Paul

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Didn't mean to put any kind of implied abrupt stop to the discussions, just my humble opinion and suggestion at this point :)

No problem  :)  I'm just keen to keep our options open until we can be reasonably certain that the majority are in favour of the option on which we seem to be converging.

Very nearly missed your edited post with your grinding experiment (the trouble with editing I guess)
Sorry, a bad habit out of which I must get  :(

Quite interesting, so, If I understand this right, you managed to get, approx, 4 tsp of ground coriander from 4.5 tsp of whole? 

No, 3.5 from 4.5, or slightly less; definitely no more.

Did you try the experiment with the cumin too.  I'm thinking that that would be slightly closer to the quantity of whole cumin seeds.

No, I have far less whole cumin; I will grind some this evening for this evening's meal, and report back both on the quantities achieved and on the effect (if any) on the final flavour and aroma of the curry.

** Phil.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Im finally moving back oop north and home on Thursday, im also looking forward to getting back in the kitchen and chucking a few pans about, so if its ok i would like to join in on this, i have never tried any of Taz's recipes before, so i feel this would be a good time to try.
Also i like the way this whole testing session/series has come about and honestly think its a good way, probably the best way, of making progress in our journey.
I allready have all the spices, both whole or ground.
I can start knocking the Base and mix up this coming Saturday.
Any questions i have have allready been answered except...
1) Are we using whole or ground spices?
2) Are we using the 400ml of oil as per recipe or more/less.
Mmm curry.......

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 04:03 PM »
PandJ

if its ok i would like to join in on this,

Absolutely, the more the merrier I say.

1) Are we using whole or ground spices?

I think for the first attempt, we are going to go with the recipe as spec, so whole spices I think.

2) Are we using the 400ml of oil as per recipe or more/less.

That's a good point, the recipe does call for 400ml but Mick has suggested upping this to 450ml!  I guess if we are going to do it to spec, then 400ml it is?

Im finally moving back oop north

Welcome back Pete ;D

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes