Author Topic: Curryheads "Madras 2011"  (Read 127104 times)

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curryheads "Madras 2011"
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2011, 05:07 PM »
Deggi mirch is quite hot. Blimey im looking forward to this :)
Its quite exciting to think that we could be setting a standard here for a uk madras recipe.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Hey Pete,

I'm also excited about this too.  I've got my base on the go as we speak/type lol.

Ray :)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Deggi mirch is quite hot. Blimey im looking forward to this :)
Its quite exciting to think that we could be setting a standard here for a uk madras recipe.

Hi Pete,
It is exciting but I'm sure it won't be what everyone wants even if the method is followed correctly.
Given all the variables and different tastes.
Regards,
Mick

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 11:21 AM »
ok i have made the base to the letter. i love the huge amount of oil content. its like no other base i have made (in terms of oil) .

(1)when i make the 1st curry do i add the 1st lot of base and reduce down to almost nothing ( a crust ) or do you need to stop it totally drying out.

2) should the temperature be at high from start to finish?
3) is the cooking time about 10  mins or less?
4) is the aim to reduce the 2nd lot of base as much as the 1 st lot ?
cheers DD

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 11:41 AM »
ok i have made the base to the letter. i love the huge amount of oil content. its like no other base i have made (in terms of oil) .

(1)when i make the 1st curry do i add the 1st lot of base and reduce down to almost nothing ( a crust ) or do you need to stop it totally drying out.

cheers DD

Hi DD

Did you see this recipe that accompanies the Taz base post? (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4165.msg37738;topicseen#msg37738) if you read through it, there is a breakdown of each stage. Obviously slightly different for a Madras, but the principals are what I personally followed.

Cheers

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2011, 11:48 AM »

cheers DD

Hi DD

1) Don't reduce all the way to a dry crust. Just try to drive away most of the water so you're left with an oily paste, and make sure you scrape back any residue that sticks to the pan sides before it goes too dry and crusty.

2) Temp - I would say medium to high.

3) Depends on heat - I usually spend 10 mins on first reduction but I'm a slow careful cook!

4) No the second lot of base you use to achieve your desired consistency.

For a one person portion the quantity of base is approx 200 ml for first reduction then 200 ml to cook off as you like it.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 02:41 PM »
ok thanks

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Hi Fellas,

Ok, I have now made Micks Madras, two nights running.  First night, to try it, second night to confirm it was no fluke, the first time!

So, last night's effort, was purely to test the Taz base along with Mick's Madras recipe.  I have to admit, I did have some concern over the level of spice mix and tom puree but I made a promise that I would try it to spec, and I did.

The method is brilliant.  So easy and simple, and almost foolproof.  In with the first ladle of base, along with the mix powder, salt, deggi mirch and methi, paying attention to Mick's instruction with regards to "reduce the first lot of base, much further than you think you should".  This, is the only scary bit.  I was itching to stop but I knew I needed to keep going, just a touch more.

It then became obvious as when to stop!  The pan stops bubbling, and spluttering, and you can hear a gentle sizzle.  What you end up with, is a thick paste, that you can separate with your spoon, and it stays separated.

In with the second ladle of base, along with the chicken (I used chicken tikka), coriander and lemon dressing.  Keeping the heat at medium, I let this reduce to the consistency that I'm used to.

Out of the pan and onto a bed of boiled basmati rice.  The smell was wonderful, as was the colour.  The first mouthful brought a huge smile to my face.  It tasted just like my local TA madras, which I love.  Now I believe that Taz is Pakistani, as is my local TA chef and I honestly think that it's no coincidence why both Madras's taste very similar.

Ok, getting towards the end of the curry, which didn't take very long, the tomato came through quite a bit, and I did get a bit of a spice lag.  No problem, as I knew what to change next time.  Don't get me wrong, these flavours only came through at the very end and didn't spoil the curry one iota!

So, tonight, just to confirm it was no fluke, I give it another go.  I did however, make a couple of small changes. I reduced the quantity of mix powder from 1 tbsp, to 2 tsp.  I also reduced the tom puree from 2 tbsp to 1 tbsp.  I replaced the 2 cloves of chopped garlic with 1.5 tsp of my homemade garlic and ginger paste (60:40).  I mixed this with the tom puree along with 3 tbsp of water.  And finally, I didn't heat up the base as suggested, purely because it's in a massive pot and I didn't fancy heating the whole lot up, just to make 1 curry.  Yes, I could have ladled out what I need but I'm a lazy bleeder at times, and didn't want to mess up another pan!

Bugger, I've got 10 great pictures to share with you all but we seem to have a problem with the imaging host :(

Alright, no problem, I'll post them when it's up and running, back to tonight's curry.

The little adjustments that I made really made all the difference for me. The taste, the colour, the smell, everything smacked of BIR madras.  It was wonderful, it really was.  I can't get over the fact that, such a simple base, with a simple madras recipe, using such a simple method, created a dish that I would happily pay GBP 10 for.  Seriously, it was that good.

For me, my search is over for that perfect homemade BIR style madras.  Bold statement I know but that's how strongly I rate this madras.

Of course, I still want to try it with the fry method to see what difference it may bring.  I know for sure, that there will be way too much oil in the end dish, and that I would spoon a fair bit of it out, which I DON'T believe is the BIR way.

Mick, you suggested that this madras would probably not be what our more "nostalgic" members are looking for.  Well, I would say that the deggi mirch certainly gives us the "old style" heat that madrases used to have and there is a definite moorishness about it that I remember from the 80's.  If you get a spoonful of the sauce and take it as far back on your tongue as you can, just before you need to swallow, hold it there for a second or two, then swallow.  THAT'S, where you really can taste the magic.

Fantastic base, fantastic curry, fantastically full belly ;D

Many thanks Mick, this has took me closer than I think I've ever been with a madras.

P.S,

Stew, please sort out the imaging host, I really want to share the piccy's with everyone ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Razor

I'm making the Taz base this week and have a friend coming round for a Madras next Friday so your post and adjustments are very timely. Just one question. As the base is oily, when you do the reduction of the first ladle full, you said that the paste separates from the oil? In that case, do you leave the oil in, or spoon it off?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Hi Stephen,

you said that the paste separates from the oil?

No, I think I may have mislead you there.  On the first reduction, yeah the oil does rise to the surface but keep going, and stirring and scraping.  It then blends nicely into a thick paste.  The pan just suddenly stops spitting, if you like, it's then ready for the second lot of base.

Hope that helps :)

©2024 Curry Recipes