Author Topic: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 77940 times)

Offline Malachyte

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2009, 11:53 PM »
Ick, well, I think I did something wrong here  :-X

I"ve made CK's CTM several times now, each one going better then the last.  The whole Coconut block thing put me on a bit of a hunting mission here in the States, as it's considered more of a specialty item.  I've gone from from using Coconut milk (Good), to using some cream of coconut (Great).

I was reading about using coconut powder here, and I found some at an indian grocer by me. I was happy, as the bag itself would save me several special trips to get some of this canned creamed coconut (of which a lot of it would surly go to waste just from lack of use)

I don't know why, I don't know if I read it in this post, or somewhere else, but I added 1/2 a cup of the stuff.

...didn't absorb right into the curry. Didn't melt down.  I tried! But yeah it went something like

*Chew*
"OH, this has very nice flavor"
*Chew*
"Very nice indeed!"
*Crunch crunch*
"...who put sand in my curry!?"

So. Woops. WIll probably stick with the other stuff >.<

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2009, 07:20 AM »
i fear the "coconut powder" would be what we call "desiccated coconut". it's very hard and bitty and used i think in baking. it's certainly not what u want.

the alternative (or even to mix with the cream coconut or coconut block) is coconut flour which is very fine.

i've tried both the block and the flour. the flour dish is certainly more towards BIR taste. however the family preference is for the block.

i would try freezing your leftover canned cream coconut if u can't buy it in the block form. the block i use is by KTC and called, "pure creamed coconut". the stuff's magic.

Offline Malachyte

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2009, 12:04 PM »
i fear the "coconut powder" would be what we call "desiccated coconut". it's very hard and bitty and used i think in baking. it's certainly not what u want.

the alternative (or even to mix with the cream coconut or coconut block) is coconut flour which is very fine.

i've tried both the block and the flour. the flour dish is certainly more towards BIR taste. however the family preference is for the block.

i would try freezing your leftover canned cream coconut if u can't buy it in the block form. the block i use is by KTC and called, "pure creamed coconut". the stuff's magic.

I'll have to keep my eyes out for it. The canned stuff we have has kind of the consistance of a really heavy  "Cool Whip" kind of thing. But yeah, it was delicious.   

Might have to try freezing it. I'll keep my eyes out for the coconut flour as well :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2009, 06:58 PM »
"Cool Whip" kind of thing.

Always cracks me up when I see 'cool whip'. Watch Stewie from Family Guy to know why!

As far as the coconut thing goes, the restaurants use coconut flour and not coconut cream (block) in the final curry making. The coconut cream is used in some bases though.

The amount of sugar and coconut flour used in a korma is frightening, about a heaped chefs spoon of both, and about the same for a CTM!

Offline dazp

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Thanks for this recipe!! Cooked it friday for friends (my first ever attempt at BIR) with the BE base, everyone absolutely loved it!! Just like the local Takeaway (if not better!). Being in Leicester means there is a pretty high standard to match and you nailed it!

Offline Hargiwald

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2009, 06:16 PM »
"Cool Whip" kind of thing.

Always cracks me up when I see 'cool whip'. Watch Stewie from Family Guy to know why!

As far as the coconut thing goes, the restaurants use coconut flour and not coconut cream (block) in the final curry making. The coconut cream is used in some bases though.

The amount of sugar and coconut flour used in a korma is frightening, about a heaped chefs spoon of both, and about the same for a CTM!

This is interesting, but just to clarify, how much is a chef's spoon? And are you speaking per portion?

I want to try this recipe, but I have to get my hands on the coconut flour first.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2009, 08:10 AM »

This is interesting, but just to clarify, how much is a chef's spoon? And are you speaking per portion?

i use 1 heaped chef spoon of the coconut flour per 200ml finished portion. i've not measured the heaped spoon but level it's 4 tbsp so something like 6 tbsp would sound right.

i'd also be aware to thin the base a little with water (or use more base) when using the flour as it absorbs much more base c/w using block.

Offline Hargiwald

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2009, 11:56 AM »
Thanks for the help!

That is indeed quite an amount of sugar. Quite absurd actually, but hey, no one ever said BIR curries were healthy. ;)

Offline bighairybloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2009, 07:56 PM »
Curry King, id like to make  ctm for a mate of mine in a few days, do you recomend any changes to the recipe posted at the begining of this thread?

Chhers!

Steve

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2009, 06:40 PM »
Hi,

I made this last night with CA's base and it was very very good ;D.  All the family left clean plates.  I made it as the instructions on page one.   Thanks for sharing this Curryking 8)

Will

©2024 Curry Recipes