Author Topic: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 77676 times)

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 08:56 PM »
Has any one heard of the brand named "East End" i visited my nearest Indian supermarket, they had some things in "TRS" others in "Rajah" and other in "East End", a young girl there said that it was a good make so I had a few things to try.

Dai
I always buy "TRS" I must say they are all pretty good but I love the "TRS" brand full stop !

Their Spices seem to have a more vibrant colour and I think they keep their flavour longer.

I use "TRS" Popadoms and they are totally Superior to all other brands (and believe me I tried them all) they fry superbly  and there is definitely a significant difference in taste compared to others :o

Go for the "TRS" brand and you won't go far wrong. (but that's only my opinion)
Layne ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:58 PM by laynebritton »

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Hi Laynebritton

I will try the ones i have now, and learn a quick lesson and go for the tried and tested TRS ones, do you buy your spices online or locally.

Dai

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 11:30 PM »
I have used TRS spices many times & find them to be excellent  :)

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 12:42 AM »
do you buy your spices online or locally.
Dai

Hi Dai
I have about 3 Indian / Continental shops near me (30mins drive) and they have every brand of Spice/ingredient/Halal product anyone could ever need (thank goodness)

Remember to buy your Spices in small amounts often !
Layne ;)

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2006, 09:36 PM »
Hi Laynebritton

I have so far only found one so far in Newport "Masala Bazaar" where are the other two, i only actually live five miles away from you so perhaps we could liase some time.

Cheers
Dai :)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2006, 05:38 AM »
We have some of the generic blends of spices here - i.e . TRS , Rajah , MDH ... but there are a lot of local merchants that produce their own . In North America ( in particular Canada ) there is a huge Sikh/Punjabi population - therefore , there is a big influence as to what is available . A lot of the well known BIR dishes are not familiar to the rank and file here . Most restaurants settle for the more traditional  dishes . ( thank God for this site ! ) You won't see dhansak .phall , pathia or balti over here . I have begged my local restaurants to create some of th BIR dishes...but they flatly refuse , stating that if it isn't authentic Indian cuisine...they won't do it ! Pity - there loss is my gain  , as most of my friends prefer BIR . I just love to introduce the BIR taste experience to newbees .  :)

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2006, 10:16 AM »
Dai Where by do you live ?

In Newport Yes "Massala Bazar" I go there regular for my Lamb on the bone (Halal) the other 2 are in Pill you know where the main police station is ? go down that road and there is "Abdul" continental shop opposite kwik Save then further down opposite side of the road is "Clare's" which is pretty good but as you say "Massala Bazaar" is Excellent Coriander 3 bunches for ?1.00.

Anyway Dai yes we must have a Pow Wow sometime and swap ideas OK.
Layne 8)

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Hi All

I have now completed my first ctm using the Ifindfora curry base and Curry Kings above recipe, i marinated the chicken for 48 hours and cooked it in a fan oven on about 2200c for about 15 mins it was starting to blacken on the edges so took it out.I then added it to the Masala sauce, but as you can see from the picture the slight black edges makes the look not so appealing. Any way being my first attempt i cannot complain it still tasted very nice but i now need to do a pilau rice to accompany it.
Your comments would be appreciated.

Dai

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2006, 06:45 AM »
Hi Dai,

For Pilau Rice, check out the recipe index here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=415.0

Also check out the comments made, regarding cooking rice, in this thread here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1092.msg9506#msg9506

Hope this helps!  8)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 06:48 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2006, 10:50 AM »
 :o  Looks pretty good to me, mouth watering and I can almost taste that sauce, mopping it up with a naan, dribble...  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes