Author Topic: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 77798 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2007, 06:30 PM »
I had a crack at this recipe today ;D I'm not a lover of CTM but I had a "curry wimp" friend round (sorry to any CTM lovers lol :P ).

A very nice curry ;D I think on the basis of this I'll have to make it more often....I left out the chilli as I used the Boss's base which gives enough heat on its own. It was a little sweet for my tastes but my mate and the hubby loved it ;D

Thanks for the recipe CurryKing :-* I think I've been converted 8)....I guess maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks after all :D

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2007, 07:54 PM »
Well, I managed to do this dish over the weekend, and it was a really easy to do curry.  It is much less preperation than the Madras, although I do prefer the Madras myself, and I feel is a really good all rounder for people who like curries, and for those people who have never tried one but proclaim that they dont like curry (like my dad).  The hardest part and most time consuming was the marinading the chicken, and although I know that there are shortcuts which probably have pretty decent results, for this being the first attempt I wanted to do it all 'by the book' so to speak.  I do not have a barbecue, so I used one of those little disposeable ones (well two of them actually) and I must say that anyone else who does this, buy the bigger ones, as I didnt have enough heat left to cook my last skewer of chicken, so I lit up a second one and threw some sausages and burgers on, as you do.  Here are my results.

Here is the chicken after marinading for 36 hours, poped on some skewers and ready for the grill:

Here is the chicken cooking nicely on the throwaway barbie:

Cooked and ready to use:

Now, I used the same base gravy as I used for the Madras (Darth Phalls), so in order to work with the same sort of quantaties, I tripled everything so as to use the three tubs of base gravy as per the Madras, that way I figured that I would get the same sort of quantaties, which I did.  Here is the mix with chicken added, before the addition of the cream:

And here it is with the cream added:

I do not like to add food colouring and things like that if I can help it, so in this case I left it out, giving it a rather pale looking colour as an end result, but I can assure anyone that the taste and flavour were great.  Here is the finished article:

I really enjoyed this curry, despite me preferring stronger ones like the Madras.  I fed some to my mum, and she loved it, as she did with the Madras, but I think that she preffered the creamyness of this one.  Anyone looking for a nice easy curry to make for, as Domi put it 'curry wimps' then this is really nice and easy.  I also like this sort of dish when I just fancy a change for the wimpier side, although I more often tend to turn to the darker side of curry and opt for that Phall, so maybe I shall try one of those next?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2007, 10:55 AM »
Great pic's Spencerman  8)

I tend to make this when I have people round for a curry night, always looks the business and even curry\spice haters can try it  ;)

cK

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2007, 10:06 PM »
I was 'challenged' to make one, but if I am honest I found it really too easy to do.  It was much easier than I found the Madras, whether that is because I have now made a few of those I do not know, but it really is an easy curry to make, and as you say, it is ideal for a large gathering, this, and also I find Madras rice is quite popular.  The worst or hardest part was preparing the chicken tikka, but then even that wasnt that bad, and it can be shortened and changed to still get a great result from the main curry part.  Many thanks for sharing this recipe with us all.

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2007, 03:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I?ve made it today, I found it a bit too sweet at lunch, but tonight, after a little rest the result was amazing (pity nothing left for tomorrow), I am sure I?ll make it over and over again. I?ve used Bruce Edwards?s base  and Cory Ander?s chicken tikka (excellent recipe). much better than Kris Dhillon?s tikka masala, that until today was the closer to the original i had ever found.

Regards

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 09:14 PM by malacara »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2007, 12:31 PM »
Glad it worked out for you malacara, thanks for the feedback.

Offline nice 'n easy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2008, 07:47 PM »
I cooked this today, good recipe, thanks.

I used Dark Phall's base and the rest as per the recipe (although made very quick and easy tikka due to time constraints and added some veg too).

At the end I thought it was a bit bland so I added a fair bit of fenugreek leaves and some all purpose seasoning (basically 60% salt with a mix of minor spices), then just before serving a couple of chopped tomatoes, coriander and flaked almonds.

One of my best curries yet I reckon, tasted pretty genuine CTM to me. I don't really like some BIR style only-chicken-in-gravy ones as I like a bit of extra 'lumps'  :P in it, hence extra veg etc.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2008, 04:57 PM »
spot on  recipe, family loved it and said restaurant standard no messing, many thanks to you Cory.

i thought the creamed coconut to be crucial (ie the block type). i also added the leftover marinade from the chicken tikka. i didn't bother with any sugar. i also added chopped coriander about 5 mins before serving and felt this ramped up the flavour (added the garnish as well). i used parker21's "toffee/choking" smell method of cooking the spice mix. i used the parker21 base.

just for info i made a 2nd batch with everything the same except swapping my standard made spice mix for a bought tandoori masala. there was a sever reduction in taste.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2008, 11:47 PM »
spot on  recipe, family loved it and said restaurant standard no messing, many thanks to you Cory

Thanks for your compliments, I'd love to accept them, but this is Curry King's recipe not mine  :P

Glad you liked it anyway!  8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2008, 07:48 PM »
Curry King,

i've made this so many times now and we think of u each time so we've included a picture of what's simple the best there is.  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes