Author Topic: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 77159 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Hi CurryLover,

It's one of the currys that always goes down well in my house and I really don't make it enough.  It really shouldn't have a chili kick though so maybe you put to much in, you shouldn't be able to taste or feel it.  To be honest though I prefer it like that, a spicy CTM with fresh chili is even better  8)

Another problem I've found with CTM is that it can vary massively from restaurant to restaurant so getting it how everyone knows it can be tricky.

cK

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 01:40 PM »
Ash's base was a very pale off-white type of base almost....i didnt put any coloring in it so the result was more yellow-orange in color - I used some paprika and tomato puree in hot oil to color it a bit.

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 06:36 PM »
Glad the base turned out okay Paast10 (didnt realise you were female btw). Personally Im not really into CTM, used to be my favourite when i first discovered curries but i prefer something less tomatoey nowadays. I know alot of people love CTM (my wife and kids) and they were pleased with the finished dish.

Glad you liked it!!

Regards Ashes

Offline CurryLover_NZ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 07:18 AM »
Curry King,

the CTM went down well with everyone - even my son. My wife wants me to repeat it soon for some friends. I think it's the closest I have ever come to reproducing a BIR dish. Clean plates all round - in fact, the only complaint I got was that the portions weren't big enough !

The spiciness concerns me a little. My son said his UK CTMs did not have it. Do you think it's the spice mix or the chilli powder ?

The chilli powder I used is hotter than my usual supermarket stuff - although it wasn't the 'extra hot'. It's unbranded stuff sold in sachets at a local Asian spice store.  I used just 4 small pinches of it.

My spice mix contains madras curry powder. I have made up the Ifindforu version - it seems almost identical to the Bruce Edwards version. I cannot get Rajah Gold here (or Rajah anything !), so have settled for some made by 'Empire'.

I think I might leave the chilli out next time.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 10:12 AM »
You're using madras curry powder and chilli powder, inevitably it's going to turn out hot. I don't think CTM should have any chilli heat whatsoever or it isn't CTM. Ditch the chilli powder and use a mild curry powder.

YF

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 10:14 AM »
Yeah just leave the chili out altogether as it's not essential, I only put some in as the CTM I was trying to emulate at the time did have a hint.  If it still comes out to spicy then you will at least know it's your curry powder in the spice mix, I wouldn't have thought so though as you are not putting a lot of it in.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 04:26 PM »
I love ctm with fresh chillis!  :P

Come to think of it, forget the ctm, I just love fresh chillis!  :P :P

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Hi Curry King

I have been studying your recipe for CTM ready to have a go at but i am a little dubious about the Tandoori Masala, is this a paste or a powder also what make would it be, how many portions would your recipe be aimed at. New to this so sorry if i am asking should know questions.

Many Thanks
Dai. :)

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 12:03 PM »
Hi Dai,

The Tandoori Masala is a bought powderd spice mix:

http://www.simplyspice.co.uk/tandoori-masala-p-316.html

The amount of people this would go round depends on how much chicken tikka you add.  I normaly use about 3 chicken breasts worth of tikka in this CTM and it would easily go round 2\3 people 4 at a push if you also have all the extras such as naans, rice, pakoras etc..  I have uploaded a picture of this CTM that I made a while ago, that may give you an idea:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=890.0

Cheers
cK

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 12:05 PM by Curry King »

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 03:35 PM »
Hi Curry king

The picture of of your ctm looks absolutely mouth watering, if i can get mine to be half as near that i will be a happy man. If i wanted to make a larger quantity for freezing would it be safe enough to just double up on the quantities, or is it better just to make a new batch.
I will have a look in my local Indian supermarket for the tandoori masala, i have already received an order from simplyspice so will get some next time.
This ladle mystery certainly is a big one, what sized ladle do you use, i am compiling a list of all variations so that i can work out an average. :-\

Cheers
Dai

©2024 Curry Recipes