Author Topic: no coconut/sugar Korma  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
no coconut/sugar Korma
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:34 AM »
The Korma is a much maligned curry and like many of us I need at least a hint of chilli or I feel cheated.  However my missus is violently allergic to chillies/pepper and we all have curry virgin friends that we like to cook for and I personally dislike over-sweet/coconut curries.

This is my version of a 1 person korma based on KDs - I cooked this loads commercially in a pub in London and it was a firm favourite.  I would say it is better than any I have had in a restaurant (tasting other peoples you understand!)  but that depends on whether you love the sweet/coconut thing.

This only serves one - but it is easy to multiply up - I have made it for 40 in the past for a beer festival.

2 tbsp oil
1 ladle/200ml base sauce (I used KDs)
Pinch Salt
Drop yellow food colouring or pinch of turmeric
quarter tsp Garam Masala - rajahs is good
half tsp Cumin powder
2 tbsp Single Cream
Chopped coriander leaf

Heat the oil, and add the curry sauce.
When simmering add the garam masala and cumin - this always amazes me how such a tiny amount of spice made such a magic smell!
Add 1 breast/7 chunks of pre-cooked chicken breast (just boiled) and the yellow colour or turmeric.
When the chicken is hot and the oil seperates add the cream - this is where the yellow colour appears
Serve topped with chopped coriander leaf.

I like to add a pinch of chopped coriander while cooking - something about the green flecks in the curry sauce that looks really appealing.

I draw the ladle accross the bottom of the pan and if the divided sauce ran back together quickly - I cooked a bit longer.  This is just a way of seeing if your sauce is the right consistency.

If you cook at a high temp - this used to only take 7-8 mins from start to serve.

I have used this curry several times for people who say "they hate curries" and it has gone down very well, and for young nieces who said it was yummy and cleaned their plates :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:21 PM by Tomdip »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: no coconut/sugar Korma
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:31 PM »
? tsp Garam Masala - rajahs is good
? tsp Cumin powder

Thank you for posting this recipe. It's an irritating forum bug but fractions often come out as question marks.  Could you please edit the post to use decimals like 0.5tsp or 0.25tbls.

©2024 Curry Recipes