Author Topic: The Onion Bhaji Group Test Results  (Read 27593 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
The Onion Bhaji Group Test Results
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:00 AM »
I'm afraid you will have to make do with a link until I can upload this properly as an image. I'm sure there will be plenty of comments but this test really highlights the difference a good method can produce. Once you crack this, bhaji's become very easy to make and you can tailor them to your personal preferences.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AoVG2JH0G1stdGV0aDcxeDVzNmZEczJGSUhPcXBkWmc&output=html

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Onion Bhaji Group Test Results
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Image for test results:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:59 PM by Axe »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:41 PM »
"ase to make" was presumably "Ease to make", Axe ?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:00 PM »
"ase to make" was presumably "Ease to make", Axe ?

Well spotted, I didn't see that. Now updated. :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:08 PM »
So CWG is a clear winner.  I now confess that it was ChrisWG's recipe that formed my (abortive) attempt at taking part in this group test; I can see that I should have persevered and not been put off by my initial failure.  I shall have another go !

One comment, though : even though my attempt was not very successful, I did eat most of two bhaji, and felt that perhaps the aniseed was a little too obvious; did anyone else think this, and would anyone be inclined to reduce the quantity to (say) one teaspoon or less, with the benefit of hindsight ?

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:25 PM »
Phil, yes, I had similar results when I did the test. Try a teaspoon certainly, the IG recipe calls for half a teaspoon and the aniseed is just noticeable. With the Kashmiri masala in Chris's, a teaspoon may suit you better.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Hi Phil,

Once you crack the method it gets much easier. A lot of what Dip does in his video is good, he just rushes it for the camera. The pics that Axe took show really well what you are looking for - a very dry sticky batter that you can only really form with wet hands. It's hard making small batches because of the ratio of egg to onion which has to be correct or you end up adding too much flour in to get to the sticky stage.

Once you have the method down you can bespoke your own recipe. Like them spicy? Chuck in some fresh green chillies. Too much aniseed? Halve the amount. I did just that for a few batches and I ended up with this recipe.

One day I'll get around to making a video from start to finish to show how easy it can be.

Chris

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Thanks for finishing this test guys and sorry I bailed! I will have a look for my tasting notes on the 4 recipes that I tried and share them.
I think I remember liking Chris', dipuraja's and CA's although when I cooked all of them the same way (the CR0 agreed method) they were all v good and similar I think.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Thanks to the testers for their time and effort :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 12:53 PM »
I'm sorry, but I REALLY think that "testers" should not assess their own recipes in these tests (Chris)  :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes