Author Topic: Roshney Chicken Recipe  (Read 28798 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Roshney Chicken Recipe
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Okay so I'm going to try and work on replicating my current favourite dish - Roshney Chicken. It isn't on many menus but is similar to a Chicken Tikka Rezala.

Effectively, it is a slightly thicker than average garlicky curry sauce and usually come fairly mild, I ask them to make it Vindaloo Hot. The main ingredient is chicken tikka which comes in strips as opposed to the cubes they use in the other dishes. It also includes lots of lumps of green pepper and onion along with some fresh green chillies. It tastes absolutely divine!

So my questions are: If I add onion and green pepper, do these need to be pre cooked? If so should they be deep fried or boiled? The same question goes for the green chillies although I assume due to their size they go in raw, but at what stage?

For the first attempt I'm thinking of frying 3 tsp of garlic paste until it starts to brown then add in mix powder, chilli powder and some sliced garlic. Then add the base and green chillies and reduce right down (as per Curryholics Madras), then add onion and green pepper and the rest of the base.

It would be good to hear anyones thoughts on this, especially if you have tried a Roshney or CTR in the past.

Solar - you really need to try this dish from Chutneys. It's well worth the journey!

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roshney Chicken Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:20 PM »

... snip...

Solar - you really need to try this dish from Chutneys. It's well worth the journey!

I will, sounds lovely :P

Quite curious to know if Chutneys is similar the the Chicken Roshney Mirch from here: http://www.themahaan.co.uk/ in Farnham.

Their 'Mirch' version is absolutely stunning, and surprisingly hot as standard. Although the ingredients sound very similar. It is vaguely similar to a Jalfrezi I suppose, but the peppers and chilli's seem to be very finely chopped and there may be a little cream or yoghurt in the sauce?

Cheers

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 01:30 PM »
If your going to pre-cook the onion and pepper Chris, i'd go with lightly frying it. I can't think of anything worse than boiled pepper. Though I would probably add these at the beginning  then add the garlic and spices. Followed by the chillies and sauce etc.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:45 PM by Axe »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:38 PM »
I make a lot of curries containing pepper and onion a bit like a korai.

Like Axe said I would gently pre-fry them to your desired texture. They will go a little softer in the sauce but not much.

Sounds like a tasty dish!

Paul

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Hi Chris

I presume you are going to order at least 1 of these dishes this weekend?

Can you take a good quality close up photo of it please so we can have a gander?

CHeers

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Thanks for the tips on the onion and pepper, I didn't fancy boiling them much!

Solar - yes it probably is a similar dish, searching for Roshni Chicken brings up more results. Chutneys describe is as: Cooked in exotic sauce with fresh garlic, sliced green chillies and garnished with fresh coriander.

I wont get a chance to order one this weekend as I'm out with the guys on a curry night tomorrow which means restaurants only. Chutneys only does takeaway. If we go to the Dhanshiri I'll order a Rezala and take a pic.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Hi Chriswg,

I definitely agree with the others.

Add the oil to the pan, then add the green peppers, Onions and chilis. (I would split the chilis in half when frying or chop them to whatever shape you require).

Then add the garlic paste and spices etc on from there....

The rezala's I have had, have always been watery, mild, and of no real flavour to excite me at all. I believe they are made with adding red wine? Well the ones here are. There is also another one which escapes me for now but is made with whiskey. All "Chef's Specials" trying to create something different to the local opposition.

if you are going to create something that has more garlic, a thicker sauce with much more flavour, then I am all ears!!

I trust you will succeed in perfecting this :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 06:38 PM »
I'm certainly going to give it my best shot. I order a lot of curries from Chutneys and they know me pretty well. I'm thinking about setting up a Saturday standing order  ;D Hopefully I can nab 5 mins of their chefs time one day do grill him with a few questions.

The dish is a thick sauce and absolutely packed with flavour. It has 'the taste' more than any other curry I have ordered.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:15 AM »
I popped into Chutneys last night for a cheeky mid week curry and tried to ask the person behind the counter if I could speak to the Chef. He didn't seem to understand me but disappeared into the kitchen for a few seconds, shouted something in an Indian dialect then came back and didn't say anything else to me. I wasn't hopeful.

A few minutes later a young Indian chap comes bounding out. "Hi mate, I'm Azz, I hear you wanted a chat with me. I'm the head chef and owner here". He was a really nice chap and nothing like any other chefs I have met who are generally very difficult to understand. He must have been born in the UK or moved here very young. Either way he produces the nicest BIR food I have ever eaten, anywhere. And that is a very high accolade given my love of curry!

Anyway, he knew how I was when I mentioned my address. Not surprising given the deliver there every week. Unfortunately he had already cooked my dish when he came out - he said he had just tasted it "man that is hoooooot!" he said rather amusingly. He mentioned a Masala that they use in the dish that has 15 ingredients including coconut and tamarind paste. He then said that next time I want to order on a Mon or Tues to pop in and he'll show me how to cook it - result. I was lucky yesterday, he doesn't usually cook on Wednesdays if there is footie on the tele!!! If this is the next generation of Indian chefs then the country is in for a real treat!

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:19 AM »

Anyway, he knew how I was when I mentioned my address. Not surprising given the deliver there every week. Unfortunately he had already cooked my dish when he came out - he said he had just tasted it "man that is hoooooot!" he said rather amusingly. He mentioned a Masala that they use in the dish that has 15 ingredients including coconut and tamarind paste. He then said that next time I want to order on a Mon or Tues to pop in and he'll show me how to cook it - result. I was lucky yesterday, he doesn't usually cook on Wednesdays if there is footie on the tele!!! If this is the next generation of Indian chefs then the country is in for a real treat!

RESULT :) :) :)

Excellent work  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes