Author Topic: Spice Mix  (Read 1623 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Spice Mix
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Hi all just a quick question - i have noticed in quite a few BIR's and takeaways now that their spice mix is 1 ladle that goes into the pot but also noticed its more of a thick paste - has anyone made their normal spice mix and added water to mix it all together and form it into a paste? just curious if that would have a benefit? maybe stop the burning of spices?

Garry

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Spice Mix
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Yeah I've done that in the past gazman, you can also make the spice mix by using oil and whopping the lot straight into a dry pan.

Offline PhilUK

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:40 AM »
I think the whole cooking of the spices issue is one of the keys to replicating the BIR taste experience.
I've tried everything- dry frying, frying in oil- making a paste etc etc.
I'm usually always happy with the results- but I'm never quite sure if I'm doing it right(A bit like sex really).
I guess that handling  and cooking spices is second nature to a BIR Chef- and because us Brits are brought up on fairly bland food- spices are a weird new thing to us.

By way of a comparison, I've travelled north America extensively(USA & Canada), and whilst Ive had some excellent coffee(Indeed the average north American has probably never tasted nescafe instant, he would be disgusted by it!)I have never once had a decent cup of tea over there.
The reason for this (In my opinion) is that Brits learn how to make tea when we are kids.
They make it with warm water, and often use coffee machines  to make it.
Apologies to our friends from across the ocean- but you guys probably think the same about our coffee.

In other words its second nature to a BIR chef to know how long to cook the spices.

I firmly believe, that  cooking good food,of any genre, is 70% technique, and 30% ingredients.
just a thought.
Phil

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I'm usually always happy with the results- but I'm never quite sure if I'm doing it right(A bit like sex really).

The only way you know if you're doing it right Phil, is if they come back a second time!!  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:04 PM »
gazman1976,

quite an suprise this observation.

i always add 1 chef of base to the tom puree and spice in the pan and mix before putting back on the heat. i am totally sold on the need for free water during spice frying.

©2024 Curry Recipes