Author Topic: Spice Mix: Paprika vs. Chilli Powder?  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Spice Mix: Paprika vs. Chilli Powder?
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Ever since my first visit to the Indian Garden kitchen, I have often wondered whether the prescribed Paprika content of the IG Spice mix is all that it seems. Certainly from comments about the IG Onion Bhaji breakdown recipe not being hot enough or carrying quite enough flavour (of course I guessed the quantities so they may not be right), add to the conundrum.

Now the head chef explained to me that he uses Paprika simply to give colour and who am I to doubt this. But for some reason I find this strange as I do wonder whether the Paprika gives much colour to a finished dish and whether it provides much in the way of flavour, given it's company in the Spice Mix recipe and the recipe of the finished dish it's used in.

But it wasn't until reading a recent topic, that it prompted me to question as to whether it may actually be Chilli Powder or a Hot Paprika as opposed to being regular Paprika.

I don't recall having read about standard spice mix containing chilli powder before now, so I offer this up for debate (unless of course someone directs me to one that has already taken place). I certainly intend to test the replacement of the Paprika content with Chilli Powder to see what results it creates.

Cheers

Malc.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Spice Mix: Paprika vs. Chilli Powder?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:17 AM »
I can understand that paprika adds colour, but im not so sure about flavour, whenever ive used paprika for flavouring (ghoulash) the recipes call for quite a lot of it. Where as smoked paprika is quite flavoursome and you need less of it.
Has anybody noticed whether the paprika added to spice mixes does actually alter the flavour of the mix at all? i can't tell personally.
Now substituting chilli for papika is quite bold, its definately going to add heat, maybe turning the mix into a madras spice mix?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 12:08 PM »
What I find strange about the chef's comment on changing the colour is that we all know well, that BIR's generally use artificial colouring agents to colour food such as Egg Yellow for instance.

So why opt to use Paprika when alot of Paprika would be required to affect the colour whereas using an artificial colouring agent requires so little to change the colour.

This is why I wonder if there is a little more to what he describes as Paprika.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Well apparently via a quick google search there are different types of paprika ranging from mild-hot, and also differing sweetness's. It is used as a colouring for dishes aswell as a flavouring. It must add something of a flavour to curries i just can't seem to tell what.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I haven't researched Paprika as yet but I am aware of Sweet, Smoked and Hot, sweet being the standard Paprika most people are familiar with.

I certainly think it is worth further investigation if not at least to give me a better understanding of how it may affect the spice mix and resulting dishes. Particularly as this will better my ability to adjust recipes both BIR and otherwise.

I know Smoked Paprika has a very distinct flavour that it imparts to any recipe it is used in. This may well have some benefit to certain dishes where that smoky charcoal hint of flavour is required.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:55 PM »
hi axe the mouchak  mixed powder i posted uses chilli powder and not paprika. jerry uses it as well as myself i got it straight from the chefs mouth!
regards
gary :)

mouchak mix powder

6 parts curry powder (rajah)
4 parts turmeric
2 parts coriander
1 part cummin
1 part chilli powder
 if possible use rajah in all the spices but you can use trs or another brand if you don't have them.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Axe,

without doubt it will be paprika.

i used several mix powder for a long time believing paprika to be an essential mix powder ingredient (i kept generally 2 off powders one with and one without).

i now think paprika is optional in mix powder.

i switched to the mouchak recently and no longer have interest in any other. it does not contain paprika. i also leave out the chilli as i prefer to add this at dish frying to suit the dish.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 06:20 PM »
How do you guys find the Mouchak Spice Mix, it looks like it might be on the warm side?

I'm definitely going to play around with this.

©2024 Curry Recipes