Author Topic: Changes to the Dhillon base  (Read 22130 times)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to the Dhillon base
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2006, 01:41 AM »
A recurrent theme seems to be emerging from both the base sauces & specific recipes...is it the base sauce or the spices added ( masala ) ???

Offline hugerant

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2006, 09:08 AM »
I add two tins of tomatoes and one more onion over the two pounds to the recipe, this makes for a much richer thicker sauce.  :D

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2007, 12:59 PM »
Hi, new here and very interested to read about all this.  I've just heard about the Bruce Edwards base ( the 'mark 2' version, in the same Curry Club magazine articles that document his updated curry powder that contains commercial curry powder as one of its ingredients), and mine to try it soon.

I have been used the 'KD' method for ages now, with just one little change: in place of some of the water I use a home made chicken stock prepared from the leftover carcass of a roast chicken simmered for a couple of hours in 2 or 3 pints of water conataining some carrot and celery, togther with bay leaves, pepper corns, some star anise and 2 or 3 cloves (that's the spice, not cloves of garlic!). I make up double quantites of his recipy and freeze it in 450ml clip0down plastic freezer containers (Tesco's etc), makes about 9 or so portions or so of just under a pint each.  Brill!

I think it got be improved by adding a couple of (uncooked) pork ribs to the chicken carcass, prior to simmering. I'll try this next time!

Interestingly, in KDs method the garlic/ginger is not pre-fried, I think the frying in the ultimate preparation of the finshed dish takes care of this!

I do agree with the comment I read here that the amount of ginger could do with halving!

Is anyone interested in hearing how I use this base to make a madras/vindaloo type dish, that I've watched being made in kitchen of what was the 'Gatwick tandoori' (now the 'Zari') in Ifield, Crawley??

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2007, 02:43 PM »
Hi there,  Thats just a few miles up the road from me.  I have heard lots of good reports about the Zari, in fact my daughter was in there only a couple of weeks ago.  Did you actually go into their kitchens for a demo?  Can you give us details of your demo if you had one and yes I certainly would be interested in hearing all about your madras/vindaloo recipe that you have.  Look forward to your post. CQ

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Is anyone interested in hearing how I use this base to make a madras/vindaloo type dish, that I've watched being made in kitchen of what was the 'Gatwick tandoori' (now the 'Zari') in Ifield, Crawley??

Yes Please
I can't get enough of these "demo" curries!!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2007, 09:47 PM »
I agree haldi. Demo curries are the way to go. But so few of us have the chance.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2007, 11:46 PM »

Hi Adriandavidb and welcome to cr0!  8)

Yes!  Most definately would be interested in hearing about this!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2007, 05:46 PM »
Hi there,  Thats just a few miles up the road from me.  I have heard lots of good reports about the Zari, in fact my daughter was in there only a couple of weeks ago.  Did you actually go into their kitchens for a demo?  Can you give us details of your demo if you had one and yes I certainly would be interested in hearing all about your madras/vindaloo recipe that you have.  Look forward to your post. CQ

OK

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2007, 01:09 PM »

Sorry, still finding my way round the site, posted details in another thread: 'Experienced members base sauce of choice', in: 'Lets talk Curry'

A

©2024 Curry Recipes