Author Topic: Reclaimed Oil  (Read 2673 times)

Offline alfieb

• Chef
    • View Profile
Reclaimed Oil
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Just want to clarify the use of reclaimed oil. Ive reused oil which ive skimmed off bases that ive made before. If for instance i was making a chicken madras and skimmed some of the oil off of this when the curry was fully cooked would it still be ok to use this oil after it has been in the fridge for around a week. Was just wondering as chicken was also cooked in the madras. Might be a daft question but dont want to poison the missus AND ME ;)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaimed Oil
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:52 PM »
Hi

If the oil was skimmed from a dish with meat or poultry I would recommend that it is cooled and kept in the fridge as soon as possible and used within 3 days.

Sorry a week is too long. Not worth taking the risk.

Cheers

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:32 PM »
If you really want to keep it longer than 3 days you could immediately freeze it.
This will really slow down any bacterial growth. Otherwise as SP says 3 days is probably ok in the fridge.

Paul

Offline alfieb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Right Shite might be in bother then worked out it was in the fridge 6th day today. Usually really careful and throw meat out before sell by if doesnt seem right. Thought id read somewhere on here that someone mixed the oil from a base and final curry and used the following weekend on a fresh base. Its making me feel ill thinking about it :( hold on tight mucka

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 02:31 AM »
Again, please excuse me for re-opening another old thread but the title fits the discussion.
I've just spoken to my man K*.  I asked him where he had worked as a Chef and he said all over the world, in restaurants, hotels, and TA's. He was happy to speak to me and seemed mildly amused at my interest. He was able to tell me the following in his own words and as he speaks pretty good English, there was no confusion over what he said.  Not a direct recorded transcript but pretty much what he said.

Restaurant Base Gravy?
"Yes, we do make big pot of base sauce in the restaurant but this is no good. We only do it because we have to. At home and whenever we can it is better to make the individual curry."

Asked about using reclaimed oil? He was horrified and looked at me as if I was a crazy person.
"No. We can't. It will spoil the food. If a sauce goes into the fridge it is good 3 days only.  Never used after that. We never use old food in anything."

When I asked him about starting a curry dish off with spiced oil?
"Oh, if we need a little bit of oil and there is a dish there or pot with some oil on it we will take a spoon of it to start a dish, but we always use new oil."

So you never collect it to use later?
"No. It is poison.  If we collect and store it, it will spoil the food."

So you always use fresh new oil?
"Yes. Always. We have to or we ruin the dish."

What is the secret to restaurant curry?
A big grin and laughter.
"There is no secret anymore."

Next time I speak to him I'll ask him for a base sauce recipe.  I may even prepare him a curry but I know he is vegetarian now.  Wasn't always but is now.

K*. name redacted to ensure privacy.  Not K from Men In Black.

©2024 Curry Recipes