Author Topic: Restaurant Style Curry base sauce  (Read 6966 times)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Restaurant Style Curry base sauce
« on: October 20, 2005, 04:34 PM »
There are so many version on here but is there a consensus on the closest to the restaurant curry base?

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant Style Curry base sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 04:36 PM »
Is the Dhillon version the closest to it?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 04:41 PM »
Hi,

It's not so much which is closer more what you prefer, quite a few of the bases on here have actually come from chefs and they are all slightly different so theres no one correct base. ?Lately people have gone back to the Kris Dhillion base or theres any of these that are worth a try:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=108.0

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=279

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=179.0

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4.0

Best thing to do is try as many as you can, im making the Kris Dhillion base tonight as its been well over a year since Ive tried it.

Good Luck
cK

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 05:03 PM »
Thank you Curry King.  I will try a few of those....I have been using the Dhillon base and it's pretty good but not quite there I think.  I saw somehwere that someone added a little sugar and lemon juice to this and it was said to be even better.  I tried that and agree.  Next time, I am going to try and use a little tamarind instead to the lemon.  I notice that Patak's have a little in their Madras curry mix.  Any other ideas to tweak the Dhillon curry base?  And does anybody have any opinion on using tamarind?

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 05:05 PM »
Im not so sure about taramind but try half a green pepper, a carrot, stick of celery or even some creamed coconut.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 05:58 PM »
...I have been using the Dhillon base and it's pretty good but not quite there I think. I saw somehwere that someone added a little sugar and lemon juice to this and it was said to be even better. 

But how can you know how good any DIY base sauce really is? I suggest there are only two methods of assessing it:
(a)  If you have a control sample of a genuine BIR base sauce at home, and can compare your base sauce with that, or
(b) if it results in a really good curry at the end of the day, after you've added lots more ingredients at 'stage 2'.

I made a superb base sauce from this forum, thanks to markJ., It tasted so good, you could consume it like a fine soup. But that's not the point really. It's only as good as the curries it will produce.

Regards
George

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Guys,

Pete recently reproduced the taste with a modified version of the dhillon base, Pete do you want to copy across from the temporary forum CK setup?

cheers

mark

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I suppose that since Pete has now joined the ranks of those 'in the know', that he is now bound by some secrecy code....... ???

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 01:58 PM »
If Pete suddenly stops posting we will know that he must have been too close and has therefore been silenced? ?::)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 03:41 PM by Curry King »

©2024 Curry Recipes